Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows\system32\config\system corrupted and no option for Recovery Console

Okay, although the CD didn't get me into the RC, the XP bootdiscs did. The problem now is that I can't seem to get any further. I typed in the command md tmp as directed by the Microsoft site, but the response I get is "Access is Denied". I tried the next copy command too, and got the same response. I'm not sure what I did wrong now.

Anyone?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    mmm
    If the disk is not allowing you to write to it when you tried the md tmp command, it means you don't have write access.

Were you prompted to enter the admin password:

When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Actually, I was never prompted to enter an Admin passwd. I just followed through with the boot floppies until I was directed to press R to get into the Recovery Console. Then I got to the command prompt and started to type in those commands, but was denied access.

For the hell of it, I started it again went to start an install instead of RC. Usually at that point it asks for the CD, and then it displays the available partitions. On that screen, it doesn't even recognize that XP is there. I believe it said, "Partition 1 (Unrecognized)". It said something about partition one either being corrupted or that it is in an unrecognized format.

Is it possible that the HD was wiped out by a virus or something? I know they had Norton on this machine but I'm just wondering if that might be possible?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    How many partitions are on the drive?

Just one.

I am going to go out on a limb and say that if you can spare the information that is stored on the PC, and you just want to get it up and running, format the drive.

I'd suggest getting the Hard Disk utilities disk that your drive manufacturer makes available. Maxtor, Seagate, WD etc... all make tools for diagnostics/formatting etc.

Once you have that, just format the hard disk. Once formatted then use the XP boot disks to install XP.

Should I do an FDISK /MBR as well?

Quote Originally Posted by grego
    Should I do an FDISK /MBR as well?

That's an Idea. I have a post showing how to fix the MBR on windows XP machines.

http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3975

Note, that FDISK no longer works with windows XP. In fact I never use a DOS or windows 9X disks to do anything on a windows XP partition.

Instead I use a BARTPE disk that I made to fix errors and so on. I highly recommend you to make one if you have time and often have errors crop up with windows XP.

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

In fact you might be able to use that to get into your XP install, and fix it.

If you have a disk that you can boot up to outside windows (I've used miniPE-XT) you could replace the damaged/corrupt system file in windows\system32\config\system with one that is located in WINDOWS\repair. That would get you into the computer.

Just wanted to mention that the Maxtor HD in question failed the Powermax test when doing a full scan. Another dumb question: does anyone know if minipe.v2k5.06.06-xt.iso is bootable?

Yep, sure is.

help me... how do you make a HD a slave

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    proffessional help would be needed.

you might try it in another computer as a slave to see if the drive is accessable and if you can see any info on it

if not the drive most likely has corrupted thte data and pro help is the only way to get anything off of it

My toshiba wont boot in safe mode... or at all... it just loops ...
    At last lapse of operational consciousness, it made some light clicking sounds and gave a message that it had some problem with the ... win32...c1252.nls and suggested trying the original setup CDROM then never could regain its bootability. It doesn't allow me to access the CD or boot in safe mode...
    I can get a screen giving me the option to boot in safe mode(s) but the options dont work
    After boot attempts I get a screen that shows something like this ... multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\hal.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\KDCOM.DLL
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\BOOTVID.dll
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\config\system
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\c_1252.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\c_437.nls
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) windows\system32\l_intl.nls

then after another long wait it displays a long list of driver files in similar format... I cannot write them down fast enough... then screen blanks and computer attempts to boot but just loops

To make a drive a slave, you have to change the jumpers:

Once you change the jumpers to slave, then the drive is slave. Your drive usually has the jumper settings printed on the label of the drive itself. You'll need to remove the hard disk from your toshiba to change it to a slave.

still struggling

Can you offer any more insight to my afore-mentioned problem? I've never gutted a PC and transplanted elsewhere... Is there another way to access my files in my Toshiba ... or is the slave method seemingly the best way?