Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: windows\system32\config\system corrupted and no option for Recovery Console

windows\system32\config\system corrupted and no option for Recovery Console

Can't boot to safe mode, can't get to last known good configuration. A Win 98 setup disc can't recognize a FAT partition (NTFS?), and when I attempt to boot to the CD the setup charade never happens because it says there is not even enough room for a temp folder.

It's not my machine so I don't know any history. It is a Dell 8100, and the first message you get is "Primary Hard Disk Drive 1 Not Found". If you press F1 to get it to move on it sluggishly attempts to boot, and then you get the message that windows\system32\config\system is corrupted. Dead end after that.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greg

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It might mean your registry is corrupted... or it could be that you have some hard disk error. Try doing checkdsk /r via the recovery console.

I would if I could, but I can't get to the RC at all. Is there something I have overlooked?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    sounds like a drive failure

get into the bios to make sure the hard drive is being detected.

if it is in the bios use an xp cd to boot and get into recovery console to chkdsk
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by grego
    I would if I could, but I can't get to the RC at all. Is there something I have overlooked?

I am with egg, check to see if the drive is being recognized in the BIOS. Then try to procede with the check disk via recovery console.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;307545

YOur error I believe.
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 15th, 2005 at 05:40 AM.

if all else fails open the computer and make sure the IDE and Molex cables are properly mounted (stuff happens after such a long life span).

I will check the BIOS again, although I do believe the last time I looked the drive was recognized.

As for the Recovery Console...I can't even get there. I get a message that there is not enough space to create a temp folder for the setup files, and it then gives me no other option but to exit the setup. I don't even make it to the RC.

Any way around this?

Basically from what you are saying it sounds like your hard disk is hosed. Do you hear any clicking or anything from the hard disks?

I'd say try a new/spare hard disk, and see if you can start a fresh install of windows Xp. If that works, then you can try to RMA the Hard disk back or junk it if the warranty period has expired.

It could be a cable as beelzebub said above. Check the cables and power connectors first and rule that out. Also check the power supply, make sure all other hardware is seated correctly.

While in the BIOS you might want to set everything back to default.

Have you tried running the Dell Diagnostics tools:

http://tinyurl.com/ayebe
    Last edited by Big Booger; August 15th, 2005 at 06:00 AM.

Thank you for the Dell diagnostic tool. I checked the BIOS and it did recognize the Maxtor HD. I made sure everything was secure inside the case (it seemed to be), and then I ran the tests. Everything passed except for the HD. It failed at the very first test, the confidence test, with the message: "Uncorrectable data or media is write protected".

So my next stupid question is, can the user retrieve any data from the HD or is that a lost cause?

Thanks,
    Greg

proffessional help would be needed.

you might try it in another computer as a slave to see if the drive is accessable and if you can see any info on it

if not the drive most likely has corrupted thte data and pro help is the only way to get anything off of it

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes the data can be recovered but it is very expensive to do. If I'm not mistaken that system also has a hdd diagnostic which can be accessed during boot by hitting CTRL-D.

If all else fails, download a diagnostic from Maxtor to run on it.

Now unless I've read this all wrong, You have Win 98 on it? But the error message is an NT\2K\XP error...or did you just mean that a Win 98 disk wouldn't see the NTFS?

Yes, the OS is XP, but the floppy I happened to have on hand was a Win 98 startup disc. I don't recall exactly the message it gave me but I will copy it down and post it if you wanted to see it. I know it said basically that it did not recognize a FAT or FAT32 partition, and that I would have to FDISK and create a new partition.

So the next thing I'll do is as you suggested, try it as a slave in another machine and see if there is any access to it that way.

Thanks for helping me along guys.

this clears up lots
    it is xp with ntfs file system

win98 or fat32 cannot read or see an ntfs partition.

neither will any old hard drive diagnostic software based off oof fat32

your best bet is to get the xp bootdiscs

www.bootdisk.com

boot to the recovery console using the floppy and start with big boogers suggestions

it sounds like the drive might be ok

Okay, I was wondering about that. I'm going to check that out and see if it will work. Why do you think it is that I couldn't get to the RC with the XP disc in the first place?

oh.

check that the cd is the first boot device in the bios.

Put in your windows xp disc.

when the computer boots you will get a message "press any key to boot from the disc"

press the "any key" quick and yoiu will see the installer.

It should ask you a couple questions and choose the recover console (not the repair installation using a floppy question)

can't think of it off hand

the cd should boot to a dos like prompt asking you for admin password