Thread: Lost spell checker

Silver Member

Lost spell checker

Hi, When I upgraded to Windows XP Pro, my spellchecker no longer works. When I click on spellcheck, it tells me that an error has occurred. There is no error number posted, just that an error has occured. I have Word and Excel on the computer. The spell checked worked fine before I upgraded to XP. Any suggestions ?
    Thanks, Mike

Welcome to the Techzonez mike13.
    Since you did an upgrade instead of a clean install you may have to reload your Word and Excel software to get your spell checker back. What OS did you upgrade from?

Please fell free to post as often as you like, we here at Techzonez love a good challenge.......

Silver Member
    Hi Tinker- I upgraded from Windows Me. However I had a problem when loading XP. I wound up formating the drive, reinstalling Me, and then upgrading to XP. So I have installed Office 97 Pro. Ed. Windows XP Pro. was up and running. Should I delete Office 97 and reinstall ? Thanks, Mike

You should be able to do a clean install of XP Pro with out having another OS on the system. Boot from the CD and XP will look for another OS during install, when it does not find another OS it will ask you to put in the CD from the other OS. This will prove that you have a valid OS to upgrade from. Once XP sees that it will go ahead and install......

Look here to find more information on this subject..

Silver Member
    I know that is how it was supposed to work. I tried to choose a CLEAN install, but afterwords I was not happy with my choices. I believe that I chose to "Format the hard drive, and install XP", but I was told that another OS was installed on that partition and could not be formatted etc. I forget the different things I tried , but I wound up reinstalling my Windows Me, and then doing the upgrade to XP. I then had to reinstall Office 97 with Word and Excel. By the way, the spellcheck DOES work fine in those programs, but not with Outlook Express. Going to hit the sack for now, will check back tomorrow. Thanks for your suggestions, Mike

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    FIRST
    TRY THIS SITE:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

SECOND:
    Try getting your hands on a copy of Office XP, and installing it using the COMPLETE installation feature. It should upgrade your outlook to the latest version. I use it with Windows XP and the spell check works flawlessly.

Could be a problem with office 97 spell check and your version of outlook combined with XP...

THIRD
    To install windows XP on a clean partition, this is my suggestion. It may work, then again it may not. Its worth a shot.

INside windows ME, make sure you have a ME boot disk. Shutdown ME,
    then pop in the disk. You should see a command prompt
    like below:
    A:\

Type the following

format C:
    'Then click Yes,
    Wait, for a while, then restart your PC. Boot into your BIOS. Change the booting order of your PC boot to reflect the following order
    CDROM 1st
    HDD 2nd
    Floppy or External disk 3rd

NOw take out the ME boot disk, and put in the XP Pro disk. Make sure its the full XP Pro that is bootable before you do any of this...
    To check to see if it is bootable try the BIOS change then pop in your XP disk and turn on your PC. It should say Press any key to boot to CD................
    If so, its bootable, if not, you need to get your hands on a bootable XP PRO CD.

Then follow through. YOu should install it on C: drive using the NTFS partition try the full format first, if that doesnt work, then try the quick.

One question, what kind of PC do you have? Is it a BYO(build your own) or a proprietary system?
    Hope that helps a bit.. and welcome to the site.
    BB

Silver Member
    Tinker & BB-- I went into add/remove programs and removed my Office 97. Then I reinstalled it, and now the spellchecker is working in Outlook Express, Word, & Excel. ?????
    Thanks for your help and suggestions, Mike

Happy to see that you got it going mike13. Let us know if you need anything else and be sure to visit often........
    Last edited by Tinker; August 9th, 2002 at 08:16 AM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Glad to see it worked!
    Have fun and if you have any more questions or know the answer to a question, fire it off!:P
    BB