Thread: Win2000 and false remaining space report

Win2000 and false remaining space report

Hi, I seem to have a problem with a machine I have that runs Windows 2000. It has a 2GB hard drive, but it's not the HD itself that seems to be the problem. In "My Computer", when you select the hard drive, you get to see how much space you have left. It says 1.87GB used and 114MB left -- then I go into the hard drive itself, select all the folders there, right-click and choose Properties...and it says 1.54GB total.

Anyone have any clue as to where 300MB ran off to?

Hidden folders ?????

Quote Originally Posted by mapelbob
    Hidden folders ?????
    No dice -- I thought that would be the problem, but even with all hidden files and folders un-hidden, there's no change.

Any other suggestions?

Is your drive a Maxtor by any chances ???

Open My Computer, select the Tools menu > Folder Options > View > make sure that the "Hide protected operationg system files (recommended)" is not checked. This will show you other hidden files used by the OS such as the page file.

Hope this helps.

I have seen this happen on a work machine. I've been digging my brains for what it was about... here's what I remember:

Is this on a network? Because it had something to do with being on a network (this was around...3 years ago so please pardon my lack of memory).

It was something like storing cache of network drives on the local machine.

If you arn't on a network with shares, ignore me and I'll go sit in the corner and think some more for you