Thread: Windows XP logon

Silver Member

Windows XP logon

I was experimenting with that "Files and settings transfer wizard" and I messed up something. I only let it get about half way through, and then I cancelled it. Anyway, before when I would turn on the computer, it would boot up all the way. I never wanted to be bothered typing in a password. Now it only boots up so far, and then I have to click on my account, then it continues to load. I am the only person using this computer, so I have no need to set up any passwords, nor do I want to have to click on my name to have Windows XP Pro load all the way. I like to come home from work, turn on the computer, go get a drink and come back to the computer all ready to go. Now when I come back to the computer, I have to click on my name to have it finishing loading. I searched in user accounts, and tried a few things, but can't get it back like it used to be.. I guess I could try system restore, but I also installed a combination printer/scanner/copier, and I don't want to have to reinstall all those programs. Any suggestions to get the computer back the way it was ? Thank you.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    So you don't have a PW set? Try going back into the User Accts screen, choose "Change the way users logon". If the PW option is not checked, check the uncheck it. Apply and OK to see what effect that has. Also if the Guest acct is enabled try disabling it.

Banned
    TweakUI will fix it. In the left-hand pane, expand the Logon 'tree', click on Autologon, check the 'Logon automatically at system startup' checkbox, and enter your username in the Username textbox. Get TweakUI here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Silver Member
    rik---When I go into User Accts. and then Change the way users login, I get a screen that says "Fast user switching can not be used because off line files is currently enabled. To make changes to offline files settings click OK" I Tried changing those settings to no avail. The only choices then are (1) Use the welcome screen, which is checked, and (2) Use fast user switching. There are no options here to set up or remove a password. Also the guest acct. is OFF. Additional info. There are three accts. at user accounts. Mine, the admin, Guest, which is off, and a third one labeled ASP.NET Machine A... Limited access, password protected. I have no idea where that last one came from. Maybe I should delete that last one of I could ??
    nikto---will try that TweakUI shortly.

Silver Member
    Nikto----TweakUI did the job. Many thanks to you, and rik for the suggestions

Banned
    Glad to help