Thread: PING and IPconfig

PING and IPconfig

Trying to install SBC dsl and im having trouble dectecting my modem.
    I went into DOS and typed in ipconfig and nothing showed up.
    I went into ip address: http://192.168.0.1 and no response aswell.
    I don't want to nuke my operating system, so i hope its just a matter
    of corrupt file. please help!!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    http://www.obviously.com/tech_tips/Y...tup_no_CD.html

If your equipment is a Speedstream DSL bridge
    If you were supplied with the basic DSL bridge, you can still do without the CD. The easiest way is to purchase a broadband router, such as the Linksys BEFSR11. Simply use the router to establish a "PPPoE" type connection to "[email protected]" with password "sbcyahooreg", then visit "support.sbcglobal.net/register" to set up a permanent user name and password.

If you really don't want to purchase additional equipment, you can connect the bridge directly to a PC. For security reasons I don't recommend it, especially if you run Windows. But if you insist, instructions can be found at http://www.disk919.com/bb/archived_l...sl_without_cd/.
    If your equipment is a Speedstream one port router
    Some speedstream equiment actually includes a router, not just a bridge. You can't tell from the model number, or the number of lights on the front. Routers have a web page at 192.168.1.1 or http://10.0.0.1. If you have a router, just enter your PPPoE information. Or disable the router (turning the Speedstream into a bridge) and add your own router.

Relevant models include: Speedstream 5100 (bridge), Speedstream 5100B (router), Speedstream 5260 (bridge), Speedstream 5660 (router). But, older models can be flashed to have newer router firmware.
    If your equipment is the 2Wire HomePortal

Plug in the HomePortal, connecting your computer directly to the Ethernet jack.
    Start a web browser and enter either "172.16.0.1/setup/cdless.html" or "homeportal/setup/cdless.html". If you get a web page you're doing great, skip to step 4.
    You need to set up a local area network. If using Windows, go to "Settings->Network and Dialup Connections", then make a "Dial up" connection to the Internet via a "LAN". Skip the automatic proxy configuration, skip the email step.

You need to enter a "keycode" into the Home Portal. A list of keycodes can be found at www.2Wire.com/keycode. For SBC Yahoo! DSL enter "522p 22p4 6262 22at f2nv".
    Enter temporary login information. For SBC Yahoo DSL use a login name of "[email protected]" with password "sbcyahooreg". Your DSL connection should now spring to life.

Now you need to register and get a permanent password. Visit "support.sbcglobal.net/register", and enter your personal information (usually your DSL telephone number). Mozilla and Linux users note that you might have trouble entering your phone number, due to bugs in the SBC web page. Try a different browser.
    That's it. You should be live. Run a speed test over at www.BroadbandReports.com/ to be sure you're getting all the speed you paid for.
    If you have trouble, you can visit the secret management page on the 2Wire Portal -- "homeportal/management". Your HomePortal takes care of everything: it is an all-in-one box that functions as a DSL Modem, broadband router, firewall and home networking hub with WiFi, USB, PhoneLine and Ethernet, . Some of that functionality is hidden in the management pages (for example, the control that lets you lower the transmit power for 802.11b wireless WiFi networking). Note that the 2Wire registers itself, transmitting certain personal data (such as how many connected computers you have) directly to SBC and 2Wire. SBC and 2Wire can dial into your router for tech support. Big brother? Maybe. But also useful.
    I think you got the IP wrong.. it might be 192.168.1.1 or the other listed above in the quotes.

If you went to the command prompt and typed ipconfig and nothing happened, then your ethernet card is either disabled, or not working. Check in the hardware properties of my computer (device manager) and look for the network adapter listing, and check that your card is installed properly and working.

If you are using USB, make sure teh USB card is working properly, you are getting a light and that there is a connection listed in the networking properties of the control panel.

Is your ethernet built into the motherboard or is it a PCI ethernet card?If it is built into your motherboard then you may want to try going to start menu>Network connections>Show all connections and making sure that you ethernet port is enabled.I have seen people in the past have similar problems and it was usually caused by the port being disabled or damaged.Hope that helps.

:EDITamn BB you beat me to it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Is your ethernet built into the motherboard or is it a PCI ethernet card?If it is built into your motherboard then you may want to try going to start menu>Network connections>Show all connections and making sure that you ethernet port is enabled.I have seen people in the past have similar problems and it was usually caused by the port being disabled or damaged.Hope that helps.

:EDITamn BB you beat me to it lol.
    You're post was a bit more informative concerning the method of getting to the network properties.

Funny thing.....seems like my cumputer just need some rest.
    I got home and turned on the computer and figured id give it
    one more shot and low and behold it worked, with no problems.
    very odd though. but thank you for all your guys' response to my problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ocdodger
    Funny thing.....seems like my cumputer just need some rest.
    I got home and turned on the computer and figured id give it
    one more shot and low and behold it worked, with no problems.
    very odd though. but thank you for all your guys' response to my problem.
    The odd fluke that resolves itself in time is always sweet. Glad you sorted it, and welcome to TZ!