Thread: 528mb

528mb

Hello

Can someone guide me on how to format and install win98se on 528MB HD capacity? Thanks!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Memory: 24 MB of memory; more memory improves performance.
    Hard disk Space:

With a FAT16 File system, typical installation requires 260 MB of available hard-disk space, but may range between 210 MB and 400 MB, depending upon system configuration and options selected
    With a FAT32 File system, typical installation requires 210 MB of available hard-disk space, but may range between 190 MB and 305 MB, depending upon system configuration and options selected

Drive: CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive (3.5" high-density disks available for additional charge).
    Display: VGA or higher-resolution monitor.
    Peripheral/miscellaneous: Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device.
    Basically format it with FAT32, and then use the boot disk to install it. It should work flawlessly on that drive... but to be honest, you are not going to be able to do much with it... with only 200MB of space or so left... you are not going to be doing much of anything..

You'd be better off getting rid of that tiny hard disk, and getting a larger one... if possible.

But if you must go on with the small HDD:

http://www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/so...rade/intro.htm

That guide at the link above will help you set this up.. everything from formatting to installation.

another option is to use this:

http://www.litepc.com/
    Last edited by Big Booger; October 1st, 2005 at 01:37 AM.

That's what I really wanted to know. It's an office computer and using only as a data storage. We cannot upgrade anymore the old computer due to non-availability of the parts in the market. It's already considered as an obsolete pc.

One more thing, Will the Win95 consume more space in the hard disk than the Win98SE? And what Fat systems should I use just in case I choose to install Win95? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jefren
    That's what I really wanted to know. It's an office computer and using only as a data storage. We cannot upgrade anymore the old computer due to non-availability of the parts in the market. It's already considered as an obsolete pc.

One more thing, Will the Win95 consume more space in the hard disk than the Win98SE? And what Fat systems should I use just in case I choose to install Win95? Thanks!
    Windows 95 requirements:

Windows 95 - Hardware Requirements

486 (or 386 w/ math coprocessor)

8 MB (really 16 MB)

min OS is 30 MB (really 500 MB)
    If you have the OSR2 version of windows 95 then FAT32 should work. If not, and you have an earlier release of windows 95, then go with FAT16 if you do decide to go with windows 95.

You'd be much better off, especially in an office environment going with windows 98. It is just more compatible with a lot of software. With windows 95, you are seriously limited in what you can use with that OS.

Also I would recommend uninstalling any non needed programs and accessories... * you can do that in the add remove control panel option.

If it is not going to connect to the internet remove IE. Remove outlook, the Fax program, all the game components... there are many ways to trim it down. Remove all the desktop wallpapers, computer sounds, etc..

YOu can shrink the windows registry:

http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~flibble/regsmall.html

If you want to get it down to extremely small sizes use the link I referenced in my first post:

http://www.litepc.com/98lite.html

That works well.

Okay, what a nice explanation! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge w/me. Problem is solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jefren
    Okay, what a nice explanation! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge w/me. Problem is solved.
    Glad to help. Welcome to TZ!

Jefren -

If you don't want to install a different hard drive, or add a secondary one, you might consider installing Microsoft's DRVSPACE 3, which is included with Windows 98, but will only work if your partition type is FAT16.

This will create a CVF (compressed volume file) which will be stored on drive H, but from your perspective, you will still be working from drive C:\

With proper setting of the SIZE and RATIO parameters (done after initial setup of DRVSPACE), you can increase the free storage space on your current drive to somewhere around 1 gig, even with W98 installed.

In sumary, I agree with BigBooger .. you should opt for a larger drive.

Hope this helps!

Went through that whole routine when I got my first putr, just a bushel basket full of parts. 256M seagate compressed to 350M, Win95A FAT16.(not FAT32 capable). put in a 4G Western Digital, and loaded Win95B (B, C,and later is FAT32 capable). Don't compress the damn thing- nothing but trouble. The machine still runs fine 5yrs after the above up-grades. I use it to run a construction estimator and a blueprint machine.
    Also, you wont have CD-ROM until you get Win95 loaded. So I use a Win98 start disk (which has CD support) to load the 95 OS.
    I would get the larger HD and load 98se not compressed. Clean and easy!
    ( I also have another machine with this set-up). You'll learn alot by the time you get done. DRB