Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Damn Windows Messenger?

Damn Windows Messenger?

Hey guys,I know this has been asked many times before but after searching here i can't seem to find the exact threads on this matter.

Bottom line for some reason windows messenger keeps appearing in my Task Manager processes window titled "msmsgs.exe" but heres the funny thing.I have removed Windows Messenger via the add/remove components window and have disabled the windows messenger service via the admin tools>services application.

This has always worked in the past but suddenly today i noticed that it will keep appearing and i'm unsure why.It's a problem because it seems to cause freezing issues where my PC will be in the middle of opening a program such as IE then lock up for about 2 minutes before it will allow me to do anything.During this time even Task Manager will not open or respond.

Thanks as always.Hope someone knows the answer to this.

I am running Windows XP pro SP2 all latest updates installed,no new recent programs added with the exception of the game entitled "America's Army"

British Stud Muffin TZ Veteran GimieGimieGimie's Avatar
    As far as i'm aware, by simply telling Windows Messenger in it's own options panel not to start up with Windows, & using XP-AntiSpy to disable messenger from starting with Outlook Express/Outlook in conjuction, Windows Messenger will never bother you again.

Maybe an app like Outlook/Express is causing the launch of Windows Messenger (as this is annoyingly, the default option in Windows XP), if this is the case, download XP-AntiSpy from http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail...y/1020440577/1 and choose the option to either uninstall Windows Messenger completely if you don't use it, or choose the option to disable the start up of messenger with Outlook/Express.

This should solve your problem, it has always certainly solved mine, i prefer to use MSN Messenger as it's replacement (even tho it uses messengers core).
    Last edited by GimieGimieGimie; November 10th, 2005 at 10:41 AM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    or you can just disable it in services. then volia no more messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    or you can just disable it in services. then volia no more messenger.
    I thought services only disabled the ICMP messenger protocol?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    after updating my msn i too have that msmsgs.exe running in the background. I can see it in task manager but it is not running in my tray or anywhere else.
    I guess it is part of the msn update and I find it annoying.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    after updating my msn i too have that msmsgs.exe running in the background. I can see it in task manager but it is not running in my tray or anywhere else.
    I guess it is part of the msn update and I find it annoying.
    I'm personally, refusing to update my MSN Messenger to v7.5 build 313, there's no point, m$ are just f**king us about now.

My favourite version of MSN Messenger was v6.2, but this version no longer works for XP and you are forced to update, what a crock of ****.

XP Lite! Great Tool to remove stupid WIndows applications
    Rage Against Machine!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Here is a link to the XP Lite (mentioned above) homepage. It is not freeware but they do have a trial version.

http://www.litepc.com/xplite.html

Ah ok so it's not just me,man this sucks,right now i have been waiting for damn 5 minutes for outlook express to launch and my taskbar is frozen.I just got done reinstalling all this crap and now the thing wants to screw up

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    Scroll down the menu and right click Messenger, then click the Stop button.
    Change the Startup type to disabled and click apply.

Open Outlook Express
    Go to Tools > Options. On the General tab uncheck "automatically logon to Windows Messenger." Click OK.

How to prevent Windows Messenger from running on a Windows XP-based computer

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services
    Scroll down the menu and right click Messenger, then click the Stop button.
    Change the Startup type to disabled and click apply.

Open Outlook Express
    Go to Tools > Options. On the General tab uncheck "automatically logon to Windows Messenger." Click OK.

How to prevent Windows Messenger from running on a Windows XP-based computer
    Thats the thing,I have already done both of these things when i first installed the fresh copy of XP,I checked again yesterday and they are already disabled yet they still show up in Task Manager as egghead said above.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Thats the thing,I have already done both of these things when i first installed the fresh copy of XP,I checked again yesterday and they are already disabled yet they still show up in Task Manager as egghead said above.
    Yo Bhxtyrant, have you tried what i suggested?

Hey Gimie,Unfortunatly i can't as i am already up to date with my version of MSN messenger.As for Antispy i have not tryed that method yet.I have already uninstalled Windows MEssenger,disabled it in Outlook Express,and shut it down in Admin Tools>services.I assume XP-Antispy does all these same things except in a more simple way for more novice users?I spent a few hours this morning looking online for any info on this problem and everything seems to point to it being related to the new version of MSN messenger.Right about now i am wishing i had kept my old version lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bhxtyrant
    Hey Gimie,Unfortunatly i can't as i am already up to date with my version of MSN messenger.As for Antispy i have not tryed that method yet.I have already uninstalled Windows MEssenger,disabled it in Outlook Express,and shut it down in Admin Tools>services.I assume XP-Antispy does all these same things except in a more simple way for more novice users?I spent a few hours this morning looking online for any info on this problem and everything seems to point to it being related to the new version of MSN messenger.Right about now i am wishing i had kept my old version lol.
    Christ, lol

I knew that it was a bad idea to be so hastey to install yet another build of MSN Messenger that has been released in the last fortnight, having such a fast turn out can only spell trouble, and i was right.

I wish i had another O.S to install the latest build on matey so i can see what your going through, hopefully a resolve will come soon!

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    i think us msn'rs have to live with the extra proccess running in the background...

I kill it everytime i open taskmanager to stop some other programs crashing..

Is it just me or does xp seem unstable with the latest WAVE os Shareware going around?
    ------------------------------------------------------------