Thread: Networking Problems

Networking Problems

I had 4 computers that were all connected to a router(non-wireless). 3 are running XP and the other is running windows 2000.

3 of the 4 would network just fine....but one of the XP machines wouldnt. The machine could see all the other computers but would come up with an error message saying that "the computer its trying to access is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resorce. Contact the administrator.
    The network path was not found."

Thats just one of my problems....

I recently got a wireless router (Liinksys WRT546) because i wanted to use my DS and PSP online. All the computers are still connected by ethernet cables i just use the wireless for my portable systems. But now that i have switched routers none of my computers will network. They all see eachother but the same message that came up on only one computer orignaly now comes up on all of my computers when i try to access another one. The computer i was originaly having trouble with is a "HP Pavillion 515n".

And i have already tried using the thing under network connections where you click on set up a home or small office network... and it still doesnt work.

Thanks in advance for any help

oh and also i am not using my other router anymore i am only using the wireless one.

I assume the router is setup to use DHCP so that all machines get an IP address from it. Next, all machines I assume are in 1 workgroup since you can at least see them all. Next, you must make sure you have security rights on all those machines. If you are logged on as one user on one machine, and another user on another machine, you won't have access to the PC. You either have to be logged in as the same user (with admin rights) or set the permissions on each PC to allow access to whatever shares you have.

Also on the XP boxes, check to see if the firewall is turned on. That will prevent access. If you have Service pack 2, it's enabled by default.
    http://www.eztechhelp.com

Want your own website? Check out an easy to use CMS system at http://ezcms.eztechhelp.com

Well on all of my computers i am the administrator (i think thats what you ment) and yes im using the DHTP setting on my router, and i turned off my windows firewall on my computers.... and it still didnt work. I use macafee for a firewall but i have it set up to trust all home networks. So i guess im still stuck

Even if your an admin on each box, you still have to allow permissions for other boxes to have access. For example: If I have a share setup on computer A and I want to access it from computer B, I need to set the security of the share of Computer A for the user of Computer B to have access. If it's just your home network and you don't care which computers can get access to what, you can allow "everyone" to have full control. That way it won't matter who's logged in, you'll have permission. If you do that, just make sure that your router/firewalls are setup properly. If your still having trouble, disable mcafee temporarily just to rule it out as a problem.

Hope this helps
    http://www.eztechhelp.com

Want your own website? Check out an easy to use CMS system at http://ezcms.eztechhelp.com

I set it up so eveyone has full access to all computers.... and it still is having troubles..

I have a friend who works at the geek squad and he is going to take a look at it soon.

thanks for the help anyways