Thread: Can't delete "fake" text file C.txt. on desktop.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Can't delete "fake" text file C.txt. on desktop.

I have a file named C.txt. [NOTICE the .(dot) before and AFTER txt] in a folder that I created

which is on my desktop. I named the folder mail because sometimes my brother sends me mail with a

.email file extension which I then save as an .eml extension in this mail folder.

I don't know if this C.txt. file is somthing I accidentally created or not. I have tried everything

I can to delete it.

I even tried to make an XP boot disk but my system ignored it even though I had the floppy drive

first in the boot order. I'll blame that on the boot disk files I downloaded for now.

A couple of observations:

I had Norton AntiVirus scan the folder which only contained the one file but it showed it scanned 2

files, both clean. I have "show system files" enabled and it only shows one file.

I've noticed that sometimes when I start Notepad, there's a long delay and my Zone Alarm firewall

asks if Notepad should be allowed to access the Internet - NO!

I suspect a virus or something but nothing is showing up in the scans and nothing is showing up in

my Spyware Search & Destroy scan either.

I'd like to be able to boot into a command prompt and delet this file somehow or find out what's

going on.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Charlie

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Try booting into Safe Mode, use the Admin acct and see if you can delete it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Try booting into Safe Mode, use the Admin acct and see if you can delete it from there.
    I tried that already too. Same result.

I found a solution. Thank God for the Internet! I found a little utility that allowed me to delete it. Apparently it wasn't a virus, just an incorrectly named file.

Here is a link to the solution. If you ever need it, be carefull. It will delete everything in the folder it's looking in unless you specify the actual file you want deleted.

Charlie

man i once apon atime used Norton and it was .....ihade more viruses than ican handl back there.... the besst as far as iknow is pc-cillicn and avi...and that utility is great..thanks
    good luck

medo the lover ....