Thread: No access to repair install or recovery console on Boot CD

No access to repair install or recovery console on Boot CD

After an unsuccessful uninstall of SP2 my laptop will no longer boot, normally or in safe mode etc.

It comes up with BSOD saying

STOP: c000021A {Fatal System Error}
    The windows subsustem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7ffe0297 0x0015fab8).
    The system has been shut down.

I've tried to do a repair installation but when I boot from my XP Professional CD it goes striaght into setup and I don't get the option to access the recovery console or the repair installation. (they are on the CD as I have used them both before but this time they simply don't show up)

I've got some very important files that I need access to so I don't want to do a clean install.

Is there any way I can again access to the repair options or somehow get my data off my laptops hard drive before I do a clean install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikoburns
    After an unsuccessful uninstall of SP2 my laptop will no longer boot, normally or in safe mode etc.

It comes up with BSOD saying

STOP: c000021A {Fatal System Error}
    The windows subsustem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x7ffe0297 0x0015fab8).
    The system has been shut down.

I've tried to do a repair installation but when I boot from my XP Professional CD it goes striaght into setup and I don't get the option to access the recovery console or the repair installation. (they are on the CD as I have used them both before but this time they simply don't show up)

I've got some very important files that I need access to so I don't want to do a clean install.

Is there any way I can again access to the repair options or somehow get my data off my laptops hard drive before I do a clean install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Here is what MS says to do:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

A couple of other ways to fix this:

Create a parallel install of XP. Install XP, but choose to do a install BUT DON'T format anything. It will install XP over the current installation and it "SHOULD" leave your files intact.

To get the data off, I suggest using a LIVECD version of linux and copying your files onto media of your choice or to an external hard disk.

thanks for the help.

Do you mind running me through the parallel install. I'm assuming I select the current partition and then is at simply as selecting to not format the drive.

Also with the LiveCD, I had no idea what that was till you just mentioned it. IF I boot from that CD, is it simply a matter of copying my files to my external hard drive. Does it need to be formatted in any particular way - its currently NTFS.

Thanks again for all your help

thanks for the help.

Do you mind running me through the parallel install. I'm assuming I select the current partition and then is at simply as selecting to not format the drive.

Also with the LiveCD, I had no idea what that was till you just mentioned it. IF I boot from that CD, is it simply a matter of copying my files to my external hard drive. Does it need to be formatted in any particular way - its currently NTFS.

Thanks again for all your help
    Parallel Install Instructions:

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winx...exfullpage.htm

Ubuntu or Knoppix should be able to see the NTFS files. You cannot write to the partition, but you should be able to have read and copy access. SImply boot the LiveCD and then go to town on the copying.

You're a legend.

One final question though - once I've reinstalled a second version of windows how do I delete the old unworking one.

You're a legend.

One final question though - once I've reinstalled a second version of windows how do I delete the old unworking one.
    Boot into safe mode and remove the folders manually.. that is kind of the quick and dirty way... Then manually edit the boot config and you should be all set.