Thread: The page cannot be displayed

The page cannot be displayed

IE6 has recently started coughing up this message quite frequently.
    Clicking "Refresh," or Back then Forward, then takes me to the desired page.

But ..... it happens far too frequently (brick-through-the-screen frequently).

What might be causing this infuriating behaviour?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Clear your temp internet files. Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Clear your temp internet files. Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files.
    That's something I do quite often. The annoyance happens despite that.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I have ZoneAlarm Security Suite. I haven't fiddled with the settings which apply to IE in Program Control. Any suggestions?

I don't and haven't used Zone Alarm in a while.. perhaps someone else can explain it better to you.

I do suggest temporarily trying to browse without zone alarm enabled... to see if ZA is the issue.. if it is then it's simply down to changing some settings.

Have you tried flushing your modem? Turn it off, hit reset button, wait, hook it back up?

ZoneAlarm stays on, thank you.

My modem doesn't have a reset button but it has been switched off and on a few times recently.
    Last edited by Syncopator; December 19th, 2005 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator
    ZoneAlarm stays on, thank you.

My modem doesn't have a reset button but it has been switched off and on a few times recently.
    Have you noticed recently the problem you describe in your first post.

The reason I told you to switch ZA off, is simply because it may be the culprit.. if you don't turn it off, you'll never know.

That said, you can turn on the MS firewall that is built into XP if you have SP2 installed. That should protect you long enough to test whether or not Zone Alarm is causing the time outs with Internet Explorer.

Yes, I still have the problem.

Hmmmm, yes I suppose I could take that risk with XP's firewall. I'll give it a shot when I find an instance of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Syncopator
    Yes, I still have the problem.

Hmmmm, yes I suppose I could take that risk with XP's firewall. I'll give it a shot when I find an instance of the problem.
    The only risk with XPs firewall is that if you already have something broadcasting from your computer, XP's firewall doesn't block outgoing traffic... it only targets incoming data.

But like I said, it's a quick check. Turn off ZA completely, Make sure XP's firewall is enabled beforehand, and then see if you get these problems with IE. If so, it's connection or another software related matter. If not, you've discovered the issue.. ZA.

Hey guys,thought i would mention this.I believe the culprit is indeed ZA.I also use ZA security suite mainly for the firewall and every so often i get exactly the same problem.Usually this happens maybe every few days turning ZA off completely eliminates the issue otherwise restarting the PC seems to eliminate the issue for a further few days.Not sure exactly what causes the issue though but i have checked and rechecked and whatever the issue is ZA seems to be the cause.