Thread: My home page doesnt load right

My home page doesnt load right

My home page http://www40.brinkster.com/lunatria/home.htm doesnt load right.Some of my other pages appear to load right every once in awhile but the home page for sure never loads.

I dont have this problem with any other sites. Visitors and friends seeing my site have the same problem. In firefox the page shows up eventuallly and I get an error "this page contains no data". In IE the page loads as a toss up. I might get 404, blank white page, or blank blue page. Pressing stop while the page is loading seems to help it load the rest of the way thought still not loading some content.

So far the problem seems to be a coding problem or a hosting problem or some other problem i dont know about.

As for what ive done on my side, Dumped cookies and settings etc, internet repair tool, I have a clean computer of virus and spyware, I am also using IE6 sp2.

I dont have a firewall and my modem has been restarted several times. I also have medium low security settings.

Any idea what can be causing this?? Or what to do next? Thanks

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Welcome to Techzonez. I'm not sure what the problem could be as that page loaded fine for me in FF and quite quickly.

In FF it shows up quickly but still says its loading. A couple mins later i get the document has no content error. I hate trying to read it or work on it and the box pops up every time I open a new page and stay on it till it finishes loading.

The biggest problem is hardly anyone I know has switched to FF from IE and when they goto the page its either cannot find server, blank white, or blank blue. Additonally I have to tell them to stop page load in the middle to force it to show up.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Something might be messed up,because I'm having trouble with both ie and ff.Loads extremely slow and navigates slowly also.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Any ideas??

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    The only thing I can think of is to contact your webhost and describe the problem.Also,if Tinker is around,he may be able to help,he is a wiz with website stuff.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    SOme of your picture names are messed up, or incomplete.

http://www40.brinkster.com/lunatria/...%20Jewelry.htm

For example at the link above, you have 5 images, and the rest are not active. They show up as dead images with empty border boxes.

I would remove them or fix the images.

http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

That site can help you see what you need to optimize to get your site loading faster.

Also, after the site is loaded in Firefox, and all teh images are cached locally, your site zooms. Intial loading speeds are decent as well. Consider using photoshop to really shrink the size of all images you've got on your site.

That's based on the web analyzer's report:

Analysis and Recommendations

* TOTAL_HTML - Congratulations, the total number of HTML files on this page (including the main HTML file) is 1 which most browsers can multithread. Minimizing HTTP requests is key for web site optimization.
    * TOTAL_OBJECTS - Warning! The total number of objects on this page is 17 - consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your external objects. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
    * TOTAL_IMAGES - Warning! The total number of images on this page is 15 , consider reducing this to a more reasonable number. Combine, refine, and optimize your graphics. Replace graphic rollovers with CSS rollovers to speed display and minimize HTTP requests.
    * TOTAL_SIZE - Warning! The total size of this page is 235848 bytes, which will load in 47.00 seconds on a 56Kbps modem. Consider reducing total page size to less than 30K to achieve sub eight second response times on 56K connections. Pages over 100K exceed most attention thresholds at 56Kbps, even with feedback. Consider contacting us about our optimization services.
    * TOTAL_SCRIPT - Congratulations, the total number of external script files on this page is 1 . External scripts are less reliably cached than CSS files so consider combining scripts into one, or even embedding them into high-traffic pages.
    * HTML_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of this HTML file is 10864 bytes, which less than 20K. Assuming that you specify the HEIGHT and WIDTH of your images, this size allows your page to display content in well under 8 seconds, the average time users are willing to wait for a page to display without feedback.
    * IMAGES_SIZE - Warning! The total size of your images is 222330 bytes, which is over 30K. Consider optimizing your images for size, combining them, and replacing graphic rollovers with CSS.
    * SCRIPT_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external scripts is 2654 bytes, which is less than 4080 bytes. This will fit into three higher-speed TCP-IP packets.
    * MULTIM_SIZE - Congratulations, the total size of all your external multimedia files is 0 bytes, which is less than 4K.
    I would use this site to analyze your metatags:

http://www.thisisouryear.com/?p=met

that should help you optimize it to get the best results for your site.

You might want to try this site:

http://www.seoadministrator.com/html-analyzer.html

the program there should be able to analyze your code.

The brinkster hosting server could be your problem as well.

Also, I just ran your code through Frontpage 2003 and did a browser compatibility check for IE 5.0-6.0 and netscape 6+ and came up with a bunch of errors:

Code:
    Browser Compatibility Report Template
    Use the checkboxes for tracking; mark off problems as you review and repair your pages.

Summary
    Pages Checked: 1
    Found 19 problems in 1 pages

Page new_page_1.htm
    Found 19 Problems

Line 63: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BACKGROUND is not permitted for the <TABLE> tag.
    Line 63: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TABLE> tag.
    Line 85: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TABLE> tag.
    Line 87: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 94: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 102: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 109: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 116: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 123: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 130: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 137: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute BORDERCOLOR is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 82: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute COLSPAND is not permitted for the <TD> tag.
    Line 21: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute HREF is not permitted for the <LINK> tag.
    Line 60: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute LEFTMARGIN is not permitted for the <BODY> tag.
    Line 60: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute MARGINHEIGHT is not permitted for the <BODY> tag.
    Line 60: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute MARGINWIDTH is not permitted for the <BODY> tag.
    Line 60: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute TOPMARGIN is not permitted for the <BODY> tag.
    Line 22: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the attribute TYPE is not permitted for the <SCRIPT> tag.
    Line 67: In Internet Explorer 4.0 / Navigator 4.0 the tag <TABLE> cannot contain a tag <TD>.
    That was for this specific page:

http://www40.brinkster.com/lunatria/Gallery.htm

I would say some of those coding errors might be responsible for your problems.. but I am not too sure.

Wow big post let me see if i can get all this hehe. First of all thanks for the help

The blank picture links are so far on purpose. I redesigned my website after I had a corrupt database. So im working from old backups and just left placeholders to finish it. Ill erase them though to troubleshoot this.

What are the external objects it refers to??
    How do you do CSS rollovers?? I have only heard of java script ones hehe.

The old page didnt have any optimized images but this time the page images and menu buttons are optimized. I will be doing the gallery thumbnails in the future.

How do you do a browser check?? I have front page also.
    I am confused about some of the errors. How can table not contain <td>??
    I also dont understand some of the atribute errors as far as I know the proper code for a favicon is link --rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico?"--
    yet it says the href is an error.

All of my pages will contain most of these same errors since I made a blank blue template and then modified it after that for my other pages.
    Looking forward hearing from you for my questions. Will fix everything else and let you know if it fixes it or not. Thanks so much for the tips Im new at this hehe

EDIT: Was researching how to do the compatibility check thing and found this article http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;827748 Explains why some of my errors like the href are there even though they are right.
    Last edited by shrela; December 24th, 2005 at 05:07 AM.

Well Ive been trying to track down my mysterious webpage problem for my site http://www40.brinkster.com/lunatria/home.htm

On the home page I got rid of all the errors found on it through the many checkers you guys have linked you me. It is now error free. I also got rid of my java roll over and put in css. That alone reduced page size by almost 200k and improved dial up load speed. I skinnied up my preload script and all kinds of other small changes to streamline it.

Today I randomly surfed till I found some pages coded similer to mine and when I pasted in their code it still hung. So Im thinking its time to find a new host.

So any ideas on a good one :P

Triple Platinum Member
    I can see the whole page but the progress bar is stuck midway. Then after a while I get a timeout error. Have you tried validating your css/html?

Site passes html/css validation at DNS site. It fails miserably at W3C though.
    First problem is I dont have a doc type. I specified one but I dont know how to make the content match the doc type. Even so I have only 17 errors and they are all propriatary tags like border-color. Mmm so I have more questions lol

So do I have to replace all of these with css??
    How do you specify a border color in a css style sheet but have it only apply to certain borders not all of the borders in a page?
    Would the use of tags like margin-border etc really cause the empty document errors, hangs, and endless loading I am currently experiencing?
    Is it worth changing all the tags to css stylesheets?
    How bad is it to change all of those tags to inline css as opposed to using a stylesheet?

Guess thats all lol Thanks for the link I loved trying it out.

Triple Platinum Member
    Would the use of tags like margin-border etc really cause the empty document errors, hangs, and endless loading I am currently experiencing?
    I guess not.
    So do I have to replace all of these with css??
    Is it worth changing all the tags to css stylesheets?
    How bad is it to change all of those tags to inline css as opposed to using a stylesheet?
    If you have a css stylesheet it'd be easier to manage the layout (and get help with it ). The conventional way of doing things is letting the css take care of the layout and leaving the rest to html. It wouldn't hurt if you used inline css but Zeldman wouldn't recommend it.

Here's a truck load of links that you might find useful.
    Last edited by rohitk89; December 28th, 2005 at 08:31 AM.

Oooo thanks for all the cool links. I guess I will read them and learn some more Css. I am not very good at it hehe. I guess I will also look for a new host. I am on the educational/free plan with brinkster so maybe if I get my own domain etc it will run better and I can stay with brinkster. Thanks so much for your help everyone.