Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows is the best operating system?

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    Somebody said you can tweak Linux to do anything
    If the rest of the industry were prepared to work with us we could.

like detect all the latest hardware?
    Given the details of the protocol the hardware uses to communicate the the PC we could, in fact the Linux community are so great they've already written many drivers without this.

Like play all the latest games?
    Given the source code for the games we could or a complete listing of the Windows API so we can improve WINE enough.

Some people like to tweak so for them there is Linux, some people would rather spend that tweaking time playing the game or using the latest gadget - they need Windows.
    Only because the industry follows Windows - it's a vicious circle.

As for Mac OSX - you're joking right?
    What's wrong with Mac OS X?

It's a very user freindly OS with UNIX kernel, this means most Linux open source software can be compiled for it with little or no modification.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badger11
    IMHO I think that if you are looking for more "mainstream" linux distros then you should probably look into Ubuntu (free) or Xandros (pay). I personally think (hope) that Ubuntu stands the best chance of becoming a more palatable mainstream distro to both newbs and hardcore users.
    I'm trying both at the moment, don't know yet which I like the best.

Also IMHO I would say that this is the most "flame bait" thread I have seen on this forum.
    I hope not, except for the short stint in politics TZ is Flame free, I'm sure we'll keep it that way

Yes it is the best OS. But times change.

Somebody said you can tweak Linux to do anything - like detect all the latest hardware? Like play all the latest games? Some people like to tweak so for them there is Linux, some people would rather spend that tweaking time playing the game or using the latest gadget - they need Windows.
    Like many things Curio says I have a hard time disagreeing with him, except when he said I was dyslexic

if, if only, given the source

What's wrong with Mac OS X?

It's a very user freindly OS with UNIX kernel, this means most Linux open source software can be compiled for it with little or no modification.
    Youre still joking right?

- this is the real world.

If planes were submarines they could fly underwater.
    Last edited by Curio; December 26th, 2005 at 09:37 AM.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Enough is enough already......lmao.....AJ will carry this on till the cows come home.....jk......not....

if, if only, given the source
    Although the open source development model hasn't traditionaly been suited to games many developers have got round this by releasing the source code but keeping the data (artwork and sound) under a more restricted licence. This is becomming more and more popular because it means people still have to pay them to play their games while aiming them at the largest number of people, especially Linux where there aren't yet many other games to compete with. Here's a list of free (as in open source) games, rememeber you still have to pay for some of these, open source doesn't mean free as in no $ but freedom of choice for example you can choose which platform to run it under.

Youre still joking right?

- this is the real world.

If planes were submarines they could fly underwater.
    Alright strictly speaking Mac OS X isn't a true UNIX but it's fully POSIX compliant meaning you can run most BSD/Linux software on it providving it's open source as you'll have to compile it under Mac OS X.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X

Mac OS X can run many BSD or Linux software packages, as long as they have been compiled for the platform. Compiled binaries are normally distributed as Mac OS X packages, but some may require command-line configuration or compilation.
    Quote Originally Posted by PIPER
    Enough is enough already......lmao.....AJ will carry this on till the cows come home.....jk......not....
    I've made all the points I wish to make so I'll call it a day for now, (well unless someone else raises some new ones) - I don't want a flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by Aloone_Jonez
    I've made all the points I wish to make so I'll call it a day for now, (well unless someone else raises some new ones) - I don't want a flame war.
    There's not going to be a Flame War @TZ, trust me

Anyone wishing to add points/comments to this thread may do so without the fear of flames

As long as the "points/comments" are of non-personal nature

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Contrary to popular Myth> MS security problems aren't the result of dummies who write crappy code. MS security problems exist because its the target of a society that raises children to be lying, deceitful, thieving scum bags who lack respect for their fellow man!
    OOOoooh that is sooo true!!

I have said it before and I will say it again, check Secunia for advisories on Linux/Unix and you will see that it really isn't that hot on security after all. People percieve Windows to be the insecure OS because it's what they use and the issues can and do affect them.

Even the cut down OSes they use in phones have been found to have plenty of holes - Security and Function are oposed. The more function something has the harder it is to secure.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    nice debating going on in this thread

very interesting'

well done everone
    ------------------------------------------------------------

OOOoooh that is sooo true!!
    Yes society is primarily to blame, in an ideal world we wouldn't have to bother with security, you wouldn't need to lock your front door or car but welcome to the real world. MS should do a better job in protecting us we shouldn't have to run anti-virus or compromise the functionality of Windows in order to configure a secure system. Come to think of it we should be able to choose which operating system we use without having to worry about software and hardware incompatibilities.

I have said it before and I will say it again, check Secunia for advisories on Linux/Unix and you will see that it really isn't that hot on security after all.
    It depends on the application, take a server for example BSD will be the best, and Linux and Windows server 2003 are about the same but this is totally differant if you talk about the desktop/comsumer market.

People percieve Windows to be the insecure OS because it's what they use and the issues can and do affect them.
    Yes, Windows isn't inherrantly insecure, (I've posted these links before but I don't see any harm in reposting them) Windows has been Vandalised by MS in order to keep backwards compatability with old programs by giving XP insecure default install options. Windows XP can be set up with a reaonable level of security, I've done this before and I didn't even need anti-virus but often this compromises functionality - some programs require the registry and folder persmisions to be tweaked before they will run if at all.

Even the cut down OSes they use in phones have been found to have plenty of holes - Security and Function are oposed. The more function something has the harder it is to secure.
    Windows CE maybe?
    Seriously, security doesn't all come down to the operating system being run a lot is to do with the configuration, if you surf the net as root in Linux then expect to get owned and the same thing goes in Windows unless you have a darn good anti-virus and firewall. You're right about functionality vs security (the latter often compromises functionality too) , a well designed OS (UNIX) can be configured to be secure while remaining functional and a poorly designed OS (Windows) tends to compromised one over the other.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    MS should do a better job in protecting us we shouldn't have to run anti-virus or compromise the functionality of Windows in order to configure a secure system.
    Not their job. Produce a quality product, yes. Save us from Societies miscreants, no.

Come to think of it we should be able to choose which operating system we use without having to worry about software and hardware incompatibilities.
    You can choose. Don't forget until recently if you wanted to run any Mac OS version you had to buy their hardware. Times are getting better for OS choices.

in order to keep backwards compatability with old programs
    Give the people what they want.

Bronze Member
    compromises functionality - some programs require the registry and folder persmisions to be tweaked before they will run if at all.
    You can run programs with admin privileges using a simple vbscript no need to tweak registry and folder persmisions.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kane
    You can run programs with admin privileges using a simple vbscript no need to tweak registry and folder persmisions.
    The moment you mention "vbscript" to a grandmother using windows, you've lost her... that goes for about 85% of users of Windows, Mac, and so on...

Sure you can strip the balls off a bull, and call it a cow.. but the reality is, it's just stripped down bull with no balls.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Not their job. Produce a quality product, yes. Save us from Societies miscreants, no.
    Alright then I'll put it another way, would you buy a house if the doors didn't lock properly and you could easilly open the Windows from the outside?

You can choose. Don't forget until recently if you wanted to run any Mac OS version you had to buy their hardware. Times are getting better for OS choices.
    True, times are getting easier as far as choosing an operating system is concerned but (as far as I'm aware) you still need Apple hardware to run Mac OS X, their decision to change the architecture doesn't affect this.

Give the people what they want.
    As far as computers are concerned most non techy people don't know what they want, I've heard about people being sold top-of the-range computers when all they want to do is send a few emails.

MS could easily solve their dilemma between keeping backwards compatibility and security if they wanted to, they could do what Apple have done, even if they break some old programs by adding modern security features in Vista they could provide an emulation mode to make old stuff compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane
    As Big Booger rightly said most people won't know how to do that, not to mention you're also compromising security by running things as admin, also being prompted for a password every time would be really annoying.
    Last edited by Aloone_Jonez; December 27th, 2005 at 18:27 PM.

Alright then I'll put it another way, would you buy a house if the doors didn't lock properly and you could easilly open the Windows from the outside?
    The doors and windows work just fine on Windows XP. You can choose house that comes with wrought iron gates installed (Linux), or as you pointed out (root account vs restricted account) you can pull the gates from the closet and install them at will. Some might think the view is better from windows & doors lacking distraction such as wrought iron.

It really doesn't matter about the doors/windows and type of locks, burglars bring strong crow bar and big hammer for those. If you live in popular rich neighborhood expect more burglars.

Peer through house windows and it matters not, the view may be frolicking penguins or Luna Bliss, wrought iron or not, rocks break glass...........

MS not doing enough to protect us from ourselves ? HA!! How about the Auto Companies, the Court system ? Ever have a loved one killed by a 5 time DUI offender ? It's far more devastating than Blaster worm in Windows.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    As far as computers are concerned most non techy people don't know what they want, I've heard about people being sold top-of the-range computers when all they want to do is send a few emails.
    And I'm sorry but I have to put this responsibility back on the consumer. Know what you are doing before you buy.