Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Windows is the best operating system?

Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    The doors and windows work just fine on Windows XP.
    Not by default they're not, click on Internet Explorer under the non-restricted account which is set up for you by default and Active X controls can do what they like to your system.

You can choose house that comes with wrought iron gates installed (Linux), or as you pointed out (root account vs restricted account) you can pull the gates from the closet and install them at will. Some might think the view is better from windows & doors lacking distraction such as wrought iron.
    Knowledge is the key to closing all those windows and doors, not once does it say in the Windows set up that you're more vunerable if you use an administrator account for everything, Linux and Mac OS both do pointing back to the link to the artical I posted earlier:http://www.itwriting.com/winvandals.php

It really doesn't matter about the doors/windows and type of locks, burglars bring strong crow bar and big hammer for those. If you live in popular rich neighborhood expect more burglars.
    Don't posher neighbourhoods have less crime as people have better alarms and security devices?

True none the less you can never have a totally secure system and yes the virus writers would have to be more skilled if we all used UNIX but you can't despute the fact there'd be less viruses on the whole.

Peer through house windows and it matters not, the view may be frolicking penguins or Luna Bliss, wrought iron or not, rocks break glass...........
    No but Linux would have wire mesh covering the Windows.

MS not doing enough to protect us from ourselves ?
    Nope.

HA!! How about the Auto Companies,
    They do a pretty good job - car crime has fallen in the last 10 years because cars now have immobilisers.

the Court system ?
    Well they haven't done enough to protect us from MS, it's a shame about the anti-trust case.

Ever have a loved one killed by a 5 time DUI offender ? It's far more devastating than Blaster worm in Windows.
    Yes murder is far worse than any worm but the insecurities in Windows are responsible for allowing real crimes to be commited. Rogue dialers can connect your modem to a premium-rate line or spyware can steal your credit card details or even identity.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Josh summed it up perfectly in one small sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    No Operation System can be the best. Only popular.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    What do you think? I mean, considering that well over 90% of the world is using Microsoft's OSes, is there any truth that it is indeed the best operating system?

I am curious to see what you all have to say.
    Well it depends...

I really don't like the the whole "what's better?" debates because every operating systems has it's upside along with downside.

Personally, I feel if you're a gamer like myself, then you'd probably be happier with Microsoft XP. But, I am not saying it's the best.. because really it's all personal prefrence, and what you need. (generally speaking)

As a gamer I like windows, because as said before that is what all the games are writen for.
    As a person with issues about being violated, I don't like windows in terms of viruses etc. but every OS has this problem to a degree.
    As a person that fixes computers, I don't like windows, trying to figure out why certain things don't work like the inability to boot and getting the BSoD is frustrating
    As a person that builds computers, I like windows because driver instillation is practically a no brainer (except when windows has problems with the drivers), and almost all hardware has a windows driver.
    As a person person that also takes a companies business practices into account, I don't like windows, this is rather obvious the whole Netscape IE thing is one example of the dirty business I don't like.

So over all I don't like windows, the second games are ported to a standardized linux distro and my teachers start accempting documents that are not in a .doc format i will wipe windows from my system and start anew.

I wish i could put all that i want to say into words but I really dont know how to express it all.

Criteria for judging the best OS

Will it do what you want to do with it?

That proves it - Windows kicks ass.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?