Thread: Cannot connect to server via RDC anymore - [FIXED]

Cannot connect to server via RDC anymore - [FIXED]

Was hoping someone could help with this one, i have a small business server 2003 and until recently has been fine, but within the last 3 weeks or so i can no loger connect to the server via RDC, both internally and externally, the error message is displayed instantly
    1) remote connections might not be enabled at the remote
    computer.
    2) the maximum number of connections was exceeded at the
    remote computer.
    3) A network error occurred while establishing the
    connection.

i have tried these links but they no longer work

http://go.msmvps.com/l.aspx?linkid=107
    http://go.msmvps.com/l.aspx?linkid=108

any help on this would be appreiciated

Try using the Terminal Services manager, connect it to your server and see if there are any sessions currently running. If there are two user sessions connected to your server it will not allow you RDC or TS into the server. You will need to disconnect one of the sessions (you are only allowed two remote administration connects to any one server unless you have a TS licencing server).

Hope this helps.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I had a similar issue...fixed it by del the port forwarding in my router and readding them. its port XX and port 3389 I think. XX being any port you choose.

there is no ts licence on the server as they did not require this feature, however, i use it to remotely administer the site, also ports 3389 were open and i deleted them from the router, re-created them but no joy, i then did a site visit and tried a rdc connection from another terminal in the building and got the same response as i did when i connected from the outside which rules out the router, i can however run vnc and connect in that way. but strange why rdc worked then stopped. im at a loss. hope you can help.

SOLVED this in case anyone else comes across this problem

Open terminal server configuration manager, right click on connections and create a new connection, choose the local lan card as default internet access, and finish.

you should now be able to connect to you 2003 sbs server
    Last edited by gargoyle149; January 16th, 2006 at 22:43 PM.