Thread: Nvidia infinite loop...

Nvidia infinite loop...

Hey all... I know this is old news, but check this out...

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: nv
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 108
    Date: 1/9/2006
    Time: 6:32:16 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: BRANDON
    Description:
    The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 00 00 00 00 03 00 46 00 ......F.
    0008: 00 00 00 00 6c 00 04 c0 ....l..À
    0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
    0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........

SPECS:
    Asus motherboard, model A7V8X-X (VIA Chipset)
    AMD Athlon XP 2200+
    1 Gig of RAM
    40 GB HDD
    16x DVD Drive
    GeForce FX 5900XT
    Windows XP
    (Anything else you need here?)

I've exausted so many possibilities here... I'll list off everything I have tried...
    -Formatted, then reinstalled Windows XP
    -Uninstalled and reinstalled games that throw this problem
    -Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers
    -Used Driver Cleaner, then reinstalled drivers again
    -Updated BIOS, then set each aspect according to graphics card and processor's liking
    -Used a Registry Cleaner
    -Changed my 2 sticks of RAM from slots 1 and 2 to 1 and 3, then ran MemTest86
    -Removed a stick of RAM, then ran MemTest86 again
    -Used FIXMBR
    -Changed my AGP bridge driver to "Standard PCI-to-PCI" bridge as suggested by one user
    -Rolled back drivers MANY times

While I understand that this problem could indeed be caused by faulty hardware, I'd like to think that is not the case here, for one simple reason: Prior to formatting the hard drive, everything worked completely fine. Shortly after the format, this problem became more pronounced the more I made use of the video card. It's a bit quirky in when it shows up, but it's always reliable. For example, I can run City of Heroes/City of Villians just fine, never a crash, but attempting to run World of Warcraft or Final Fantasy XI always results in a crash, sometimes within less than a minute's time. This gives me the idea that these games that cause the crash are calling on some kind of procedure that either my current setup or the GPU cannot currently deal with and hang up.
    I can get Final Fantasy XI to run however, by turning down the resolution. If I attempt to run it at the highest resolution setting, the game crashes in seconds. Also notable is the fact that I don't always get this infinite loop crash. Instead, sometimes I'll have to manual reboot, and when I do, I am faced with the BIOS screen. BIOS tells me that the system became unstable because my CPU might be set to run at incorrect speeds, and asks me to change the settings. However, the settings are in order as far as I can tell, as told by my processor's specs: 13.5x, 133/33. Again, I realize this could be attributed to a faulty CPU or maybe even a faulty GPU, but I'd like to think that's not the case given the system's working condition prior to a format. If you can think of any other ideas I may not have tried yet aside from a new system (on a budget right now) I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightscape
    The driver nv4_disp for the display device \Device\Video0 got stuck in an infinite loop. This usually indicates a problem with the device itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Please check with your hardware device vendor for any driver updates.
    I have a very similar problem, with using the Nvidia display drivers with Windows XP, but during normal use of the pc, ie not playing games or using any heavy graphics processing.

I have tried some similar methods to resolve the problem. I've also re-installed Windows XP, uninstalled and reinstalled lots of versions of the Nvidia drivers, and upgraded DirectX.

However removing the graphics acceleration has been the only method that has reduced the crashes, but even that no longer works. The driver crashes as soon as the pc is switched on, and Windows brings up the error screen that allows the selection of safe mode, vga mode, etc. An infinite loop error entry is sometimes written to the event log, but mostly no entry is made.

Bronze Member
    Try some of the troubleshooting techniques described here