Thread: Boot loader showdown: Getting to know LILO and GRUB

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Boot loader showdown: Getting to know LILO and GRUB

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...w01LILOandGRUB

Most Linux® users, from the casual desktop user to the Linux system administrator, have used a utility known as a boot loader. Different variations of this utility provide varying levels of support and functionality. In many cases, the default boot loader installed with a Linux distribution is not always the best for your needs; the same can be said for the default settings of each boot loader. In this article, Laurence Bonney discusses the pros and cons of two of the more popular boot loaders -- LILO and GRUB -- and suggests a number of configurations to get the most from your machine.

What utility do practically all Linux users use -- regardless of their job or expertise? A boot loader. In this article, see how a boot loader works, meet two popular loaders -- LILO (LInux LOader) and GNU GRUB (GRand Unified Boot loader) -- and review the pros and cons of each.

*Good review at the link*

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So which one do you use? I am a grubber all the way!

I actually have used both. My Xandros uses Lilo and seems to have issues with Grub. I'm thinking about wiping the Xandros out completely tho and just running Suse and Ubuntu.
    Last edited by rik; February 6th, 2006 at 14:34 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rik
    I actually have used both. My Xandros uses Lilo and seems to have issues with Grub. I'm thinking about wiping the Xandros out completely tho and just running Suse and Ubuntu.
    Can't you add Xandros to the Grub bootloader and then simply remove Lilo? though I hear that might be a bit risque...

Xandros is actually seen and listed correctly but won't boot. I don't remember offhand exact messages or where it stops but it just stops. From what I've read, lots of people have had that issue. At this point I don't use it enough to worry about it.