Thread: System missing

Unhappy System missing

Uh.. hello guys, I have a problem with my Windows XP Pro. i'm not sure if i installed somethin then remove it or what so ever, i rebooted my windows and then, it says windows/system32/config/system is missing or its currupted. i tried to use the system.sav file to replace the current one, but it didn't work. any solution? thanks

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well yes there is

You can fix the problem, and it's quite easy. Do a Windows XP repair. The beauty of this is your problem will be gone but you will not lose one bit of your present Windows configuration, except for Windows Updates. You can reapply them later. The only program I know of that's an exception to this is Diskeeper (because of the way it hooks into the OS), if you're running it you'll have to reinstall it after the repair as well. Also, if you have any non-digitally signed drivers on your current install, have the CDs handy during the repair, or have them expanded to a path on your hard drive (XP will ask you for their location during the repair).

To do a repair, follow these steps exactly. If you don't, you might lose your current install.
    (1) Reboot your system. Go into the BIOS and set it to boot from the CD first.
    (2) Put your XP CD in the drive and reboot.
    (3) When asked, press any key to boot from CD.
    (4) Allow setup to start.
    (5) At the next screen, don't get confused. The option "to repair a Windows XP installation using recovery console" is not what you want. Instead, choose "Setup Windows XP now."
    (6) Next screen, press F8 to accept license.
    (7) Critical step: on next screen, press R to do a repair. Don't choose anything else on this screen!!!
    (8) XP will appear to be installing from scratch, let it run its course. Provide your key when asked. When this process is finished, your XP & IE/explorer will be repaired. Just d/l the Windows Updates you need again, and your set.

BTW, don't forget to go back into your BIOS and change it so it doesn't boot from the CD again. If you don't set it back right away, during repairs reboots, don't hit a key to boot from the CD. Let it handle the restarts automatically.

The worst that could come of this repair is you my have to re-install a program or two , but you won't lose any data

BTW make sure your booting with a XP CD & not a Front Page CD.....sorry an inside joke.

Hope this helps & Welcome to TECHZONEZ

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    If FastGame's solution doesn't work,try further options here
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;Q307545

Have you installed any new hardware recently?
    This problem can occur if you have installed new RAM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Maybe you might want to check out Reverends way first , if that works you won't have to download the Windows updates.

Nice tip Rev.

oOo!!
    Thanks a lot guys, I got it fixed!!! ^O^!!