Thread: Default Media Player

Default Media Player

In Windows Explorer->Tools->Folder Options->File Types, I have set Windows Media Player (WMP) as the default application to open MP3 files, and for any MP3 file on my hard drive, this works. But, when I am in Internet Explorer and try to open an MP3 file via a link to a web page, it always uses QuickTime (which I don't like). Where-o-where is this association being made? Why doesn't IE use my default file association for MP3 files?
    R. LeBlanc

Although not a fix for your problem, what you should do is uninstall Quicktime and install Quicktime Alternative. Don't install WMP Classic though.

As far as your problem, if you don't want to do what I stated above, you should be able to disassociate MP3s within Quicktime.
    www.mightymo.net

Thank you, mightymo, but I already have Quicktime set so that MP3 files are not checked as an association. Furthermore, if I manage Add-ons in IE and disable the QuickTime plug-in, there is no OTHER player plug-in in the list that I can select, and without *some* player plug-in for MP3 files, IE can't play them at all. I don't see a way to add in a new plug-in that I can select for this purpose, although I have Windows Media Player, and some other audio programs, like Allegro and Audacity on my system, but can't find IE plug-ins for them. Obviously, I don't understand enough about IE Add-ons and how to get new ones.
    R. LeBlanc