Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is this Software Distribution Service 2.0?

What is this Software Distribution Service 2.0?

I think it must be from Microsoft. I googled it and Microsoft talked about a SMS (Software Management Systems) but I didn't find Sofrtware Distribution Service 2.0 (SDS).

But I find in in System Resotre--it apparently automatically runs System Restore from time to time...in addition to another arrangement that runs a system Restore from time to time...can't remember what that is called art the moment.

Is there a site or a MS article that discusses SDS. And what is SDS anyway?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    It is a service designed to allow software to be distributed whenever you get an update. It is used in conjunction with system restore because typically when you receive an auto-update from MS, system restore launches in case something goes wrong with the update. YOu can then roll it back to a "pre-install period".

http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusine..._overview.mspx

That site there explains SUS 2.0 which is basically (AFAIK) the same as SDS 2.0 apart from the fact that SDS is auto-installed and SUS 2.0 is used by system administrators to control what updates from Microsoft get installed on their LANs.

Thanks, BB. You explained things well!

Other information on Software Distribution Service 2.0

I had a LOT of problems with Software-distribution-service-2.0

Eventually, I started calling tech support for several different companies, hardware and software.

Several tech support places verified some very unusual information about SDS 2.0. They all told me that the software was created FOR Microsoft BY a company called Hadeseh.

Well, if you've ever been in the software industry you know one thing for sure, Microsoft does NOT have external companies doing development for them. If they like something or someone, they buy it. Nuff said. So, this was very hinky to me, and I pursued it further.

The only company I could find that was called Hadeseh was on a website computers.hadeseh.com which recently dissapeared, about a month after I called Microsoft's PR company, Wagner, who declined to comment on this externally created piece of software and Hadeseh.

All the same links and strange set-up that was on the web page computers.hadeseh.com is now on intocomputers.hadeseh.

Now you tell me what you think this is all about. I hit a wall in my investigation. Microsoft won't discuss it, and you can't get ahold of this alleged company that created SDS 2.0 for Microsoft.

-Golden_Eagle

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden_Eagle
    I had a LOT of problems with Software-distribution-service-2.0

Eventually, I started calling tech support for several different companies, hardware and software.

Several tech support places verified some very unusual information about SDS 2.0. They all told me that the software was created FOR Microsoft BY a company called Hadeseh.

Well, if you've ever been in the software industry you know one thing for sure, Microsoft does NOT have external companies doing development for them. If they like something or someone, they buy it. Nuff said. So, this was very hinky to me, and I pursued it further.

The only company I could find that was called Hadeseh was on a website computers.hadeseh.com which recently dissapeared, about a month after I called Microsoft's PR company, Wagner, who declined to comment on this externally created piece of software and Hadeseh.

All the same links and strange set-up that was on the web page computers.hadeseh.com is now on intocomputers.hadeseh.

Now you tell me what you think this is all about. I hit a wall in my investigation. Microsoft won't discuss it, and you can't get ahold of this alleged company that created SDS 2.0 for Microsoft.

-Golden_Eagle
    Nice Work Private "Golden_Eagle" I. It's funny that in all my search for this topic all that came up were vague references to this software... I wonder if it will be present in Vista???

hi i want say hello firstable to this web site members and i want to know if someone can help me with this issue.
    i would like to know what this software distribution service 2.0 is doing to my computer ,becouse after download from windows update and install it,my system restore doesnt work. i will appreciate any help about

Unhappy sds 2.0 killed my system restore

I have the same problem i cant do system restore ever since i started noticing software distribution service 2.0 in my check points did it come bundled with a windows update as it appears and i have seen can i get rid of it ? do i need to do a complete reformat ?? any boyd have any ideas ? thanks

Firewall

This software has been installed, in my computer, after to have made an automatic updated of windows XP home edition.
    It has modified DNS filters of my firewall. In this way I did not succeed more to connect to some link with password.
    I have had to uninstall the firewall and then to install it again..
    I have removed SDS 2.0 simply restoring the system before the installation of the SDS 2.0.

Quote Originally Posted by txht
    I have the same problem i cant do system restore ever since i started noticing software distribution service 2.0 in my check points did it come bundled with a windows update as it appears and i have seen can i get rid of it ? do i need to do a complete reformat ?? any boyd have any ideas ? thanks

I've had two laptops in my company (both Dell's, Win XP SP 2) experience odd things with this update. We have our users as Power Users, no admin access, and as members of our domain (under Group Policy). These two users lost access to their Desktop, My Computer, My Documents, etc. They could no longer or much less save to these folders, when they try, they get:

"this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer automatic update"

If I go into system restore, and go prior to the Software Distribution Service 2.0, then things return to normal. Eventually, though the updates are kicking in and things are reverting back. Any one run into this problem?

I have the same problem, and I desperately need someone to help me or I'll go insane soon

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Guys.....history repeats itself with issues similar to this one when it comes to doing updates....just because MS says you might need it does not constitute a need to download and install it.....my suggestion when it comes to updates is to read about them first, determine if it appears to be a positive move....then do a little research first...just as you're now seeing in this thread about issues peeps are having with "software updates"....walk softly guys....if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....too many times I have dealt with folks that end up hosing their systems with so called fixes from the man....lol...one word...caution

Hmmmmm

Oh, oh, oh, couldn't help but respond to this. I am also one that watches what updates I download because I have ended up with lots of junk that is unnecessary. But just wanted to say here that just a couple of minutes ago I went into windows update actually looking into something else and it had me download the Windows Validation tool which I was sure I had previously downloaded. Then was creating a system restore point before downloading an update I was unsure about and would you know there was that Software Distribution Service 2.0. Apparently it installed it with the Validation Tool. And that brings me to the orignial reason I was in updates in the first place, I hope this is not inapproprite in this forum, but any ideas on Net Framework whether it is a necessary evil or not. I thought not and have not been running it, but my hubby needed it for an update for his soundcard the other night and since dl'ing it the other night his puter has been running more smoothly than ever so thinking maybe I was wrong. Any input???

Thanks,
    Crys

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes .NET Framework is needed for many things. The Validation Tool is needed for continuing the update process, but SDS 2.0....the only thing I can find is that is part of the Windows Update Service, akin to the SUS Service that is used in a ncorporate network environment.

I've no idea what it does or why it's needed tho.

Software Distribution Service 2.0 is what is shown in System Restore when it creates a checkpoint due to an Automatic Updates installation. It's telling you that it is why System Restore ran at that time.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

The 2nd. post of this thread was a definition I liked!