Thread: Screen Flickers

Screen Flickers

Hi everybody, newbie here, first post.

I have a problem with Windows XP and Im wondering if anybody can help me cuz the fools at Dell obviously cant.

I got a pc from Dell about 1 year and 2 months ago. Approximatley 1 month after my warranty expired Windows XP started acting up. Isnt that a trip. Anyway, the problem Im having is that after I start up my pc, and I reach my desktop, my monitor starts flickering and there are thin horizontal lines across my screen. Sometimes it goes on for about 5 or 6minutes and then it stops. Other times I have to restart and then the lines go away. The flickering and lines usually appear after the pc had been off overnight.

I have called Dell a million times and according to them, my pc is working fine, there are no problems with my monitor it's an 17 inch LCD ( it's new, they had to send me a new one cuz the one I ordered with the pc crapped out after 1 year) and my video card is fine. Theitechs said that it was a problem with Windows XP, that it was corrupted or something. They had me recover it, that didnt fix the problem, then I had to uninstall Windows XP and then reinstall it, still didnt fix the problem. I have no idea what to do now.

I dont believe its a problem with Windows XP, I think Dell sent me a lemon. But if it is truly a Windows XP issue does anyone have any idea what I should do? I would really appreciate some help because Im going insane. I paid alot for this pc, as Im sure you guys paid for yours. I just think tell just took me for a grand.

Thanks for any response

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Try reducing the screen resolution from 32 bit to 16 bit and see if that makes any difference.

Also try different refresh rates. Perhaps your monitor is flickering because the refresh rate is too high... or too low.

Right-click anywhere on your desktop.

Select Properties.

Select the Settings tab.

Click the Advanced button.

Click on the Monitor tab.

Click on the Screen refresh rate drop-down list for the settings that you have available to you.

Select a new refresh rate, if you like, and press OK. Your system will try the new rate, and give you 15 seconds to approve it. If your screen goes completely nuts, do nothing. After 15 seconds without a response from you, the old settings will be restored.

YOu say the LCD is fine, but have you tested it in another PC to see if indeed it is not the problem? Have you tried another monitor with your Dell to see if it might be an incompatibility?

It could be the cable between the computer and the monitor.. check the connections.

Also it could be a driver related issue.. make sure you get the latest video card driver for your video card.

How have you determined that your video card is fine? It could be overheating *works fine for a while and then acts up*. I'd double check it just to be sure.

Another thing to try would be to get a LINUX live cd (one that doesn't require you to install Linux to use it) and then insert the CD and boot the PC. Are you getting the flicker then with Linux? If so then you can rule out XP as the culprit.

YOu can download Knoppix LiveCD at the link below:
    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix-mirrors/

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Boot into the bios and see if it is the same there. Like BB said, check the cable. Disconnect BOTH ends, ensure pins aren't broken and reattach the cable.

Thanks very much for your responses. Im gonna try both right now.

Just for the benefit of archiving info:

I just had the same problem of flickering LCD screen on my Dell 8300. I interchanged it with the Fujitsu LCD from the old Gateway and no problem there. So its not WinXp nor the video card. Its the Dell monitor considering that the Fujitsu is older. You'll have to bug the Dell people non-stop and tell them you have tried with another monitor and its the Dell monitor's fault.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

It may still be the video card. I have one nvidia card that will only produce flicker free image on my ancient monitor at 1024 x 768 (32 bit), 85 HZ refresh rate. The ATI card that I am presently using gives me a flicker free monitor at every refresh rate except 60 HZ.

My advice is to try all that the card is capable of.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joshsiao
    You'll have to bug the Dell people non-stop and tell them you have tried with another monitor and its the Dell monitor's fault.

The system is out of warranty. No amount of bugging Dell is gonna help. The "poster" has also not been back to let us know what happened.