Thread: 2 x XP Pro OSes at boot?

Exclamation 2 x XP Pro OSes at boot?

Hi All
    I've come across this once before, but still don't know what causes it or how to fix it. I am installing a system onto a client's laptop (a brand new Asus A6B00K Turion) - as you may know, these machines (like most laptops) come "preinstalled". I hate pre-install: it's for dummies. Anyway, part of the thing I do with new laptops is format the HDD (to get rid of the stupid FAT 32 partition ), then load all the software from the ground-up (also a good way to get rid of all the crap that gets pre-loaded: thanks Asus... ) I noted that on this laptop, there were 2 FAT 32 partitions: a big one (over 30GB - the machine has a 100GB drive), and a small 8MB one (which was named "Boot Loader" or something). I deleted both FAT 32 partitions and the NTFS partition, then created one single NTFS, then did a full format (not a quick one). After doing the initial XP load, and doing all the driver updates, when I restart, a black screen comes up asking me to select the OS I want to load: Windows XP Pro or Windows XP Pro. If I choose the first XP Pro, the system boots, and all is well. If I choose the 2nd, it says that the disk is missing, blah blah and nothing happens. My only thought is that for some reason, because I formatted and installed off a CD, that the computer has, for some unknown reason, remembered this, and gives me the option to boot off it. My client doesn't need this option, and I want it to "go away". How do I do it?
    Thanks
    Peter

I think that you still have the original mbr on this drive. Either use a utility to fix the mbr or use instructions here.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You can also remove that extra boot option from the Boot.ini tab in MSCONFIG.