Thread: System Restore DOES or DOES NOT create restore points daily?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

System Restore DOES or DOES NOT create restore points daily?

In my Home Edition XP System Restore has never done this. Oh, it does automatic point creation before sigrnificant events...

BUT if I go to Help and Support and select "System Restore Overview", I read trhat "System Restore points are created daily." Check it out!

Is this information correct or incorrect? I've not found any indication elsewhere that such points are created daily...and certainly they never have been for me since I got XP in July of 2002. If the information is correct, is there something I must do to get such daily points to be made?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    System Restore creates a restore point every 24 hours if the computer is on or 24 hours have passed since the last restore point was created.

By default, System Restore will create a restore point every day that the machine is running. These restore points are only created during idle time; for example, when there is no mouse, keyboard, or disk i/o activity.

Windows XP System Restore

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Thanks Reverend. Guess I may have to leave my computer on 24 hours a day rto get what I want...I usually shut it down when I go to bed.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    The number of restore points that can be stored is also determined by the harddrive space allocated to SystemRestore. When space runs out, the program deletes the earliest entry!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    The number of restore points that can be stored is also determined by the harddrive space allocated to SystemRestore. When space runs out, the program deletes the earliest entry!
    Correct, the bigger the hard drive, the bigger the allocation (automatic settings).

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar

Bronze Member
    You can schedule restore point creation. Copy the code to notepad and save the file with .vbs extension then use task scheduler to schedule it. When you run the script, it creates a restore point named "Automatic Restore Point" and logs an event (Event Id: 0, source: WSH, Description: System Restore..) in the event log.

Code:
    Set sr = getobject("winmgmts:\\.\root\default:Systemrestore")
    Set WshShl = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

If (sr.createrestorepoint("Automatic Restore Point", 0, 100)) = 0 Then
        WshShl.LogEvent 0, "System Restore - Restore Point created successfully."
    Else
        WshShl.LogEvent 0, "System Restore - Restore Point creation failed!"    
    End If

Bronze Member
    One more script!

Last edited by Kane; March 8th, 2006 at 22:50 PM.