Thread: Windows update causes reboot

Windows update causes reboot

I went to the windows update site to check to see if there were any new updates, it said something about having to download a new version of the update software or something like that. It did that and completed. But now, when I try to run the update again (I get to the point where I can choose between express and custom) when I click on one of the choices the computer audibly clicks and restarts instantly. Has anyone heard of this before? I am thinking if I could just physically delete or reinstall the updater program (which I am assuming is very badly corrupted), maybe that would fix the problem? I appriciate any help you can give!

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Just a quick investigation of the problem may be covered on this site.At least it is a starting point,and mabe it will allow your updates.http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I checked on there, didn't find my exact issue, however I tried some of the suggestions for similar looking ones and they havn't helped yet. I tried restoring and I was able to get back into Windows updates, however since I restored it wants me to do the update to windows update again. I am almost sure this is what is causing the problem now. After I install it I can't do anymore updates because it will restart as decribed above. I also noticed when it restarts from that crash I get a message that there was a problem with a sata-raid driver, which is weird because I am not using that (although the motherboard is capable of it.) I will post the error message in full next time I get on the afflicted computer.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you went into the BIOS and just disabled the SATA interface.

I'm using a sata drive, just not any sort of raid. Windows update always brings up "optional" downloads to patch the raid drivers, but I never downloaded them because I wasn't using the raid function. It is so strange that it's the update to the windows update service that is causing the problem and not any updates themselves. I just find it really weird is causes a hard reboot instantly instead of blue-screening or giving a warning first.

I'm having a similar prob, but with a "twist": when I click on either Express or Custom, the system just slowly grinds to a halt. For 10 secs or so, I can access the Start menu, Avast spins it's icon a few times, and the LAN icons flicker, then all is dead. Caps lock still works, so system is not completely NBG, but can't Alt-Ctrl-Del to get Task Manager. I've tried going "back" to standard Windows Update - same deal. Can get downloads thru auto update, but hardly a good look! (and what about optional stuff?). Am using AMD Dual Core 3800 X2, 1GB DDR 400 RAM, 120GB SATA II HDD and Foxconn motherboard (NF4UK8AA-8EKRS). All components either brand new or within 6 months old. Suggestions? Have already reformatted and reloaded twice today... to be sure...

Further to my last post, I have made some headway. After a 15 minute wait on the Microsoft tech help line, and a fruitless 15 min conversation, I decided to try uninstalling everything except the system: which I did (good thing I hadn't got too far my install in the first place...). Anyway, after I uninstalled the video driver, the problem went away - isn't that interesting? I'm now going to spend time trying different versions of the nVidia drivers to see which one will work with my 6600GT card. I will post results.

P.S. The motherboard is a Foxconn NF4UK8AA - I downloaded the nForce 6.33 drivers from the Foxconn website and used those for everything except video, in place of the 6.29 drivers that came on the motherboard install CD.

Yes, Windows Automatic Update will cause occassional restarts

Hello bcraig,

I had a similar problem of unscheduled bootups while I was in the middle of something. Each time I lost data. Thought I had a virus but could find nothing. Eventually I found the problem.

Open Windows Explorer & go to the directory C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution. You will see a text file called "ReportingEvents.log". Open in Notepad. While poking through this file, I came upon a few instances of automatic restarts. To make a long story short I'll just paste the contents from mine. One of the entries is the following: "Install Restart Required: To complete the installation of the following updates, the computer will be restarted within 5 minutes: - Update for Windows XP (KB900485)" A few lines later is the following: "Install Reboot completed." The time stamps for these entries & the others correspond to when my computer restarted on its own. Either the updates are so critical that Microsoft forces a reboot OR Microsoft forces the install before you can change your mind. I have turned off Automatic Updates and the mysterious reboots have not occurred again. Just remember to get into the habit of checking for updates on a regular basis.

Weirdness...

Further to my previous posts, I have ended up replacing the CPU: all the problems went away permanently... even though I replaced the following compoents - HDD, Video, Motherboard and RAM - the computer was still tetchy. Changing the video card to an ATi stopped the Windows Update problem, but only changing the CPU (from X2 dual-core to a 64-bix Athlon single-core) did the trick of fixing the random restarts and lock-ups. Now, how weird is that?