Thread: copying folders from outlook express to outlook express

copying folders from outlook express to outlook express

Hello,

Having just bought a new computer, I'm trying to get the organized folders and the messages within the folders, from the old computer to the new one. first of all, is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing this? Outlook Express is used on both machines.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Denise

There are several ways to do this including some software applications that will do it for you but the manual method is easy enough.

1. locate your OE store folder which contains the mbx files and is usually at a location like
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Identities\{long_number-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    for Windows 9x or
    C:\documents and settings\username\Application Data\Identities\{long_number-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    for Windows 2000 or XP
    2. copy that folder to your new computer
    3. Open Outlook express on the new PC and set up your email ccount in it (or it won't let you do the next step).
    4. In Outlook Express Click on the File menu->Import->Messages
    which will open a dialog box asking what you want to Import from - choose Outlook Express X depending on which version it is and then you can either Browse (OE4) or Import from Outlook Express Store Directory (OE5-6) - either of which you point at your copied data.
    The rest is self explanatory

Good Luck
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

.... you could use this very nice free utility http://www.oehelp.com/OEBackup/Default.aspx . I have used with very good results on many occasions. You could also use the built in "Files and Settings Transfer wizard" included with Windows XP.

Badger

when i go to import, then messages, then choose outlook express 6, then go onto the next window, which then asks me where to pull the files from. I can't put anything in there. I have to choose browse, which then I can't access the folder where the folders and messages are. when I copy those files from that folder into another one, and try to choose that as my folder to import from, it says there are no messages or the folder may be in use. Maybe I ought to try exporting again, and go from there.....i use a flash drive to move files from the old computer. should I export one folder at a time, or is there a way to get them all, and their messages too?

Thank you for being so helpful,
    Denise

P.S. I downloaded the OE Quick Backup, but got lost in what I'm supposed to do, and how to use the backup. this sort of thing doesn't usually confuse me; perhaps its getting late, and my mind is already spent!

Just replace the whole folder with the folder you copied from the old computer. All your settings will be there as well.