Thread: Free Up Bandwidth

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Free Up Bandwidth

Xp reserves 20% of your band with for work

But what do you do if you're a home user who prefers the Pro version? Personally, I want to take full advantage of my 1.5Mbit SDSL line. Well, luckily, there's a fix.

To unreserve your 20 percent of bandwidth, first log in as the actual Administrator (hold down Ctrl-Alt- Delete at the login screen if you're a power user who uses the Fast User Switching screen). Now go to the Start Menu and select Run.

Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.

Expand " Computer Configuration,"

Then go to " Administrative templates,"

Then "Network, " and select the QOS Packet Scheduler."

Double click the limit Reservable Bandwidth" key, and check the "Enabled" item on the Settings tab. Change the the'Bandwidth limit %" toO, then click Apply and exit gpedit.msc.

If you still have QoS enabled on your network, this should free up that 20 percent.

There was a lot of controversy a while back about this tweak, and I just wanted to post it up to let you know that it is available. I have done it and to be honest I dont see the big improvement, but then again I am not that picky either!
    try it out, if you dont like it, you can always undo what you did.
    BB

Angry

Hey

I have tried to run gpedit.msc and the system keeps telling me that it does not find it. I have 2 boxes with XP and they both do the same. I am the only user on the system and there for I am in Admin., or am I Any way, HELP!!!!

Tinker..

Originally posted by Tinker
    Hey

I have tried to run gpedit.msc and the system keeps telling me that it does not find it. I have 2 boxes with XP and they both do the same. I am the only user on the system and there for I am in Admin., or am I Any way, HELP!!!!

Tinker..
    you are most probably using XP Home.. this feature does not exist on XP Home..

BLACKWAR

I have to agree with blackwar on this one, he is spot on I daresay!
    BB

This is a myth!!! XP does not reserve this bandwidth unless you happen to be running an application that uses QoS. Even if so it only "reserves" this bandwidth for the fe second that it is sending data over the network. If not, then full bandwidth is available to all applications.

good point open_source. I knew there was controversy over it, and for the most part I didnt see any improvement whatsoever, but I guess if you are running the QoS programs, then I imagine this would help out if you're bandwidth is suffering.
    Personally, I tried it, it didnt work, so I just undid the changes.

BB