Thread: Finally on the internet, WHEEEEEE!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Finally on the internet, WHEEEEEE!!!

Bought a U.S Robotics Performance Pro hardware modem that says it supports all Linux with kernel 2.3 and higher.....not so

Installed Xandros, after 1hr I gave up, couldn't find the modem.

wipeout c: /nq /np

Installed Ubuntu and the dam thing found the modem....at least in the hardware manager it said so, Ubuntu couldn't detect the modem so I could configure it....bleeee

Next we move on to Linspire and the dam stuff was the same....I'm about ready to throw Linux out the window for good.

My good buddy rik gave me some SUSE 9.3, I didn't want to insall it because of the time it takes (5 CD) and find that this junk modem isn't going to work....I then reviewed the Newegg invoice and thought I'd try SUSE before I gave in to the fact I wasted $70.

2 hours later SUSE is installed, it found the modem, only one problem....takes me about an hour of clicking...signing into root, clicking, more root....where the heck do you go to configure the dam modem...grrrr !

Ok I get the modem working, I'm now blazing around the net...well not really, you see I got so excited that I clicked on the YaST2 update thing...lol I only got 300mb to go and I'm done, 300mb on dial-up, sure hope I have SUSE 12 when its done....hehe

BTW when I was looking to configure the modem I found the firewall settings, made me feel real good that one of the firewall settings is called "Stupid Mode" I checked that box and got out of there fast !

BYE
    Last edited by FastGame; April 10th, 2006 at 00:13 AM.