Thread: Laptop with no OS

Laptop with no OS

I have a laptop with no OS on it, and an external USB CD-rom drive. I need the cd drive to install windows, but my laptop will only recognize the USB floppy drive, so I need a dos driver on a boot disk so my laptop can install the drivers from the floppy, recognize the cd drive and install Windows. Any ideas on how to do this?

I tried copying those files(NTLDR and NTDETECT) from the I386 folder in the Windows CD, but it didn't work, it couldn't read the disk. I've tried other disks, and I've tried some dos drivers, but none of them work. I found one and had an installation going in DOS mode for the driver, but when it asked for a destination on the hard drive to store the files, it said it could not locate or create the destination specified. So is it not recognizing the hard drive?

I also tried downloading the exec file from microsoft that makes a series of 6 boot disks that are supposed to get it done, but I downloaded it, and the program doesn't even work to make the discs.

It's a Fujitsu touchscreen lifebook, and a Memorex 52x cdrw drive.

The laptop was manufactured with the floppy which is recognized, but the ex usb cdrom is a drive I bought later, and therefore is not recognized in BIOS.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Which operating system does the hardware support?What exact model Fujitsu laptop is this?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The CD drive supports Windows (xp I suppose, infact I'm asking this for soemone else, its not mine computer ). The laptop is a Fujitsu B Series Lifebook.

I've run into this alot. I use a Win98 start disk which loads enough "stuff" to give you cd-rom support. Load the OS, Then take out everything the Start Disc loaded that you dont want. DRB

"Will Golf for Food"

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    The model P1500 touchscreen can accomodate WXP,and has support in the bios for booting with a usb optical drive.I don't believe your model does,it's too old,but I see that there is a pcmcia cd rom for that model.

Specs:For B110

* Pentium 233 MMX (B110, B112), Celeron 300 (B142)
    * 3.2GB hard drive (larger on later models)
    * 32MB RAM upgradeable to 160MB
    * IR port
    * 2 USB ports
    * PS/2 mouse + keyboard port (single port, double head cable)
    * built in speakers
    * microphone input, headphone output
    * volume control
    * Kensington lock connector
    * Later models apparently have support for a serial port adaptor off the main unit not the expansion box.
    * expansion unit (for legacy ports)
    o serial port
    o parallel port
    o monitor output
    o floppy disk connector, drive included.

Other models

* B112 is the same as the B110 but with a touchscreen
    * B142 300MHz mobile Celeron, with touchscreen
    * B2130 400MHz mobile Celeron, larger screen (same resolution however), integrated modem and ethernet.

Also here is the info page where I got this you may find an alternative operating system to install.

http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~jpc1/linux/fujitsu/
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    blackhat is right

you should also format the disk so that it is partitioned for fat32.

you can then transfer the system files onto the computer for cd access.

dos cannot read an ntfs file system
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by blackhat
    I've run into this alot. I use a Win98 start disk which loads enough "stuff" to give you cd-rom support. Load the OS, Then take out everything the Start Disc loaded that you dont want. DRB
    Well, he says its windows xp I he is trying to install.

Someone also suggested to download winxp and copy it over to four floppy discs, and use those to install the os. Could that be worth trying?

As your system is, obviously, working. If you have a copy of Partition magic installed you could run 'create boot disks' onto (if I remember correctly) 2 floppys and pass those on to try. PM4 thro 7 give CD boot support. It's worth a try. If not you, maybe someone else you know has this?
    Or try here for an evaluation copy -http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html
    Best of luck.

Well, as I mentioned, its not my computer. I am passing over these question for someone else on the net, trying to help.

I suppose he is now trying this suggestion he got from someone:

I assume you're trying to install Windows XP, if so follow these instructions:

* You need four blank floppy disks.

* A working computer so you can format the floppy disks and install the needed software on them (Since you can post here I'll assume you have access to a working computer).

1. Go here and download this file and follow the instructions to install it onto the four blank floppy disks: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...55-BD5AFEE126D8

2. After you've done that and installed the software onto the four floppy disks, insert the first floppy disk into your laptop. It will load the necessary drivers and modules. It will ask you to load the next three disks so insert these when they're asked for.

3. After all the floppy disks have been loaded you it will ask you to install the CD into the CD ROM Drive, and will continue to install Windows.

From there on you won't need to use the floppy disks anymore as the installation software for Windows XP will load all necessary drivers, modules and software onto the hard drive.

Hope this helps.
    It sounded like something right to try, what you think? If it did not help him. I will inform this other way you suggested

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You could also just download an XP bootdisk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/