Thread: Outlook Express Template help.

Outlook Express Template help.

Greetings:

I have created several Outlook Express templates and I keep them on my desktop. They are eml files and I'm using XP pro with oe version 6 with SP2 running. The templates worked fine until 2 days ago when I clicked on the template icon and it opened up to an e-mail that had no send button and was not able to be modified. It seemed as if the e-mail was sent already. (In other words the To, BCC, and CC fields are all greyed out just the same as if you go to your sent mail box and then view an old mail that was sent already) When you double click on the eml file it should open up so you can enter an e-mail address and click send. This file will open up in OE but then it will not allow me to modify or send the e-mail. Right now my only fix is to press the forward button and then delete anything the forward button creates (ie: the letters FW: in the subject area) and then send the e-mail. Technically I could continue to do that but what a major hassle as I send e-mail frequently every day. If you know how to resolve this issue any assistance would be appreciated. We have an IMAP e-mail server though I don't think that has anything to do with it. Thanks

Hopeless in Tampa, FL.
    Last edited by INFLICT; April 14th, 2006 at 16:15 PM.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by INFLICT
    Greetings:

I have created several Outlook Express templates and I keep them on my desktop. They are eml files and I'm using XP pro with oe version 6 with SP2 running. The templates worked fine until 2 days ago when I clicked on the template icon and it opened up to an e-mail that had no send button and was not able to be modified. It seemed as if the e-mail was sent already. (In other words the To, BCC, and CC fields are all greyed out just the same as if you go to your sent mail box and then view an old mail that was sent already) When you double click on the eml file it should open up so you can enter an e-mail address and click send. This file will open up in OE but then it will not allow me to modify or send the e-mail. Right now my only fix is to press the forward button and then delete anything the forward button creates (ie: the letters FW: in the subject area) and then send the e-mail. Technically I could continue to do that but what a major hassle as I send e-mail frequently every day. If you know how to resolve this issue any assistance would be appreciated. We have an IMAP e-mail server though I don't think that has anything to do with it. Thanks

Hopeless in Tampa, FL.

Exactly the same problem !!
    Some one could HELP US ??

Thanks.

did any of you get any further in solving this. We seem to experience the same.

greetz, gerard

Still nothing.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Here's your answer guys.

Another Microsoft patch from the batch released last week is apparently causing problems, at least according to numerous Windows users on the Redmond, Wash. developer's official message boards.

After applying the patch from security bulletin MS06-016, say dozens of users, their Outlook Express e-mail client's address book disappeared and form-style messages can't be sent.

"After the update was applied last Thursday, when I try to open one of the .eml [templates] on my desktop, it opens and only allows me to forward the e-mail," wrote Ken Terry on Microsoft's Outlook Express newsgroup.
    full story: http://www.techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=17892

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

This is the patch that is causing the problem:

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-016
    Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (911567)

Thanks for the assistance.

Thank you Reverend yes now I do remember my computer did do a windows update on Thursday and that is when the issue occurred so that makes alot of sense now I'll have to check out that article and see if I can find out the fix or I wonder if I could just delete the hotfix and it will resolve my issue. Thanks guys.

Not so hopeless in Tampa.

Uninstalling the hot fix will work.

Thank you again reverend this was the fix but how the heck did you find it? I did alot of research to find the answer and I couldn't figure it out. It was making me feel silly because I am a programmer with my A.S. in computer programming and Analysis and I couldn't figure it out. Anyway when you remove the hot fix via the control panel and restart your computer you will have to save the template(s) again and then it will work the same way that it used to. I also changed my auto updates to the notify option so windows doesn't go ahead and reinstall the same hot fix again.

Only thing is now I wonder how important that fix is? Well this is my work computer so I care less about it and I use Outlook at home. Reverend you really saved me some time and effort because I was looking at either rolling back my pc which would of caused me to lose data or uninstall and reinstall which would of done nothing but waste time.

Quote Originally Posted by INFLICT
    Thank you again reverend this was the fix but how the heck did you find it?
    The problem with the patch started filtering through various sources yesterday.

BTW, Microsoft are currently looking into the issue. I'll post a follow up when a permanent solution has been found.

Really really thank you !

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    nice oner Reverend!

I had this problem too and I figured auto-updates was the culprit.

this is why big business does not want auto updates
    ------------------------------------------------------------