Thread: Windows xp 64

Silver Member

Windows xp 64

ok so i downloaded the free trial for windows xp 64 and burt it to a cd like it said i should and i go to install it on my computer since its a trial and everything and i set my computer to boot from cd and it doesnt detect the cd so i burn another one figuring i screwed something up and i put one in each of my cd drives i have 2 by the way and it read through both drives and didnt try to boot off of either of them....what am i doing wrong....can u please help me

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I don't know what options you used in burning software, it should work because its a bootable ISO.

The instructions also say
    The Setup file on the CD or DVD should open automatically. If it does not, in Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD or DVD to begin installation and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.
    Try that.

Have you checked you BIOS settings?

You want the CD-ROM to be first in the boot order, some manufatures include a bootmenu which appears when you press a certain hotkey at boot.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    i set my computer to boot from cd
    I assumed that he's been in the bios to set CD to boot, I shouldn't have assumed he set it as first boot device. On a blank format HD the boot order doesn't matter, to setup dual boot on HD with OS then yes CD must be first....or the MS directions would also work.

The Setup file on the CD or DVD should open automatically. If it does not, in Windows Explorer, select setup.exe on the CD or DVD to begin installation and follow the step-by-step instructions that appear on the screen.

Sorry I haven't read the post properly.

You did bun the ISO to a CD properly didn't you?

It won't work if you just drag and drop the iso file on the CD drive icon in XP you need to write the ISO directly to the disc.
    Last edited by phishhead; January 20th, 2006 at 15:48 PM.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    I don't know what options you used in burning software, it should work because its a bootable ISO.

The instructions also say

Try that.
    ive tired that already and it says "This version of windows must be installed by booting off of the cd. Please reboot your computer with the cd in the drive."

Quote Originally Posted by Aloone_Jonez
    Sorry I haven't read the post properly.

You did bun the ISO to a CD properly didn't you?

It won't work if you just drag and drop the iso file on the CD drive icon in XP you need to write the ISO directly to the disc.
    just so i make sure ive burnt it correctly how would i go about doing so?

Bronze Member
    Q. How do I use the download trial version to make a boot CD?

A. The downloadable trial version of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is an ISO image file, you can't just copy it to a CD, you need to actually burn the image to the CD. For an excellent description of the process with several different software programs, see How to write an ISO file to CD..
    FAQ about Windows XP Professional x64 Edition

ISO Recorder

Silver Member
    nvm about making the iso disc i figured it out thanks for the help now all i need to do is get all of my driver cds back from a friend of mine

XP 64 bit is pants anyway.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

one thing if u dont have a 64 bit processor it will not work with out it!!
    da empires of da future r da empires of da mind

64-bit

I'm probably going to switch to 64-bit X-fer. My data sheets (HP/intel) seem to say that you need a 64-bit processor, 64 bit enabled BIOS, and a 64-bit enabled Chipset. In my case, that means at least a new mobo. I'm wondering if the people getting the 64-bit OS are actually getting 64-bit X-fer. If you are sure that you're getting 64-bit x-fer, please tell me what your running it on. DRB

Hey Nate, I'm having the same problem, the 64xp CD/DVD won't boot. How did you fix it?

I should probably add I am trying to install onto a system that is running XP PRO (32 bit). I am just going to delete that and run the 64 system

Deleted old version of windows, cd is still not booting. Have tried floppy boot into DOS with CD support but setup.exe on the CD 'cannot run in DOS'
    Last edited by rik; May 3rd, 2006 at 12:54 PM.