Thread: Hardware Error 1024 ?

Hardware Error 1024 ?

Every time I start up my PC I get a pop-up centre screen displaying 'Hardware error 1024 - contact your equipment vendor'. This is merely an annoyance as the system is working perfectly well. I just click OK and carry on. Any ideas on how to stop it happening?

The cause somehow relates to my broadband modem, as my orriginal equipment failed and was replaced (Thompson Speedtouch 330). The first instance of the error code manifested immediately after installation and has persisted despite attempts to find a cause (& solution).

There are no conflicts showing in device manager. It's only showing as installed once (my first thought was it had re-installed & would be showing up twice) and works fine. Tried knowledge base to no avail (pity 1024 is so crucial in computer terms) so thought I'd give you all a go at it.

Any comments/advice gratefully recieved.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    take it your connected to your modem via usb. I would del the driver and use some cat5 cabling instead.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Did you uninstall the drivers for your old modem?

Your system may still be trying to load the drivers for your original equipment.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I'm pretty sure it's the same driver as previously. Though the (USB) modem is a newer model it's from the same manufacturer (Thompson). There is only 1 modem showing in device manager and only 1 driver showing under 'details'.
    I've uninstalled both the driver and hardware then re-installed to no avail. Still same error message.
    As stated previously, there is no prob with the sys, just the annoying msg. Thanks for trying.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Does anything related show up in your event logs?

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========