Thread: Linux is Not Windows

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Linux is Not Windows

If, as I do, you spend any amount of time on a Linux forum, you'll eventually grow exasperated, as I did, by the number of posts that run something like this:

"Hi! I've been using Linux for a few days, and it's mostly great. But, it's a shame that [something or other] doesn't work like it does on Windows. Why don't all the developers completely rewrite all the software so it acts more like Windows? I'm sure Linux would get lots more users if they did!"
    http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

This is a good read, pretty much sums it up.

It changed the way I look at things, I once thought Linux was a "Cult" OS, its not, "Cult" are the Anti-M$ people who push Linux as the Windows replacement.

"Linux is Not Windows"

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    True that most people would like windows features and functionality on Linux... however, dont get confused with accessibility and usability... I like the network connection folder to be able to edit the properties... i dont want to have to edit in command line eth0 is on or off etc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I betcha they would get more users if everyone knew how to use it, but if everyone knew how to use it, it wouldn't be safe (ie, safer from viruses, etc.)

I figure you had to learn how to use windows so you should be able to learn how to use another os.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    exactly. (She actually )

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Actually,I installed PC LInux,just reading the install notes on the live cd first and it set up nicely.I can use my printer,scanner,usb hub, intergrated nic,intergrated sound,dvd double layer usb drive,wireless keyboard and mouse,kvm switch,and dual core processor without a hitch.I installed XP64 bit on another hard drive on the same computer and no native drivers for my printer and scanner,everything else works.I'm learning as I go with Linux,thanks to some people here like Fastgame and from just browsing forums.By the way,XP 64 seems a bit faster on a fresh install than my linux distro,but like windows always does it will slow down as files get scattered around the hard drive.Linux as I understand it does not fragment files beyond the point of needing to be defragmented as long as there is adequate swap file space.Happy Linux.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

interesting, I have seen some of the stuff on your computers at the candy store, um I mean Best Buy. Nice computers. Money makes me a minalmist though. I am still revelling in my new cordless mouse. It is soo much fun, I really did not know until recently that they actually had cordless keyboards. It is something for the future for me, maybe.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie