Thread: Add or Remove Program Problem

Add or Remove Program Problem

When I purchased my computer CA eTrust Antivirus was installed. Since I use Panda Antivirus, I attempted to uninstall using add or remove programs on the control panel. It did not uninstall correctly. The entry on the add/remove programs screen was the name CA eTtrust Antivirus, the size 12.05MB and that it was rarely used. No entry to remove or change the program. I manually removed the program files and removed the registry entries. I then installed Panda 2004 and later installed Panda 2005 with no problems. The new version 2006 has a program to check for incompatible antivirus programs. When I try to install 2006, it says eTrust is installed, is incompatible and must be removed. Of course it says to use the add or remove programs which I cannot. There are no eTrust files or registry entries on the computer. The only reference to eTrust is the entry I stated above on the add or remove screen. Does anybody have any ideas on how to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    You can try the Windows Installer CleanUp Utility and see if it has an eTrust entry. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=290301

Use Windows search for eTrust and delete anything that comes up, also maybe a registry cleaner.

un-install Panda and then re-install eTrust then un-install eTrust again through Add & Remove.

Add or Remove Program Problem

Thanks Fast Game. I tried everything you suggested. The microsoft program got rid of the entry in the add remove programs but still no install. Rechecked that there were no entries in the registry and no files. Still no install. Finally found the eTrust program and installed and uninstalled it.Still no install. Ran another reg cleaner program and finally was able to install the new antivirus program.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Man that one was a bugger, glad you got it sorted

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    its a worry that some applications get so buried in the registry and within the OS, that if trying to uninstall them and an error occurs, its almost impossible, and very difficult at the least to correct/fix.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---