Thread: Do I want to allow this program to access the network

Do I want to allow this program to access the network

I get this question ocasionally plus and there's always a a box to check or not check that reads: "Remember my answer and do not ask again for this application." But never if I check the box, does Windows refrain from asking me again if I want to allow said program to access the net.

How can I get Windows to stop asking again after I've checked the box?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It's your firewall software that is asking whether or not to allow programs. What firewall are you running?

Version 5.6, Sygate Personal Firewall. I know I can go into the list of applications Sygate has in its firewall and tell Sygate to prohibit, allow or ask. But Rik, the last time this happened was during boot when this Window Genuine Advantage program was the program causing Sygate to ask me my subject question. I jus now checked and that app in Sygate's list was checked "allowed". Maybe it just took Sygate a while to make the change. (but I don't know of course how this app was checked (allow, prohibit, ask) in Sygate before I first ran into the problem earlier this morning.

I rebooted to see if I would get asked again but I didn't. So maybe that program won't ask again the next time I get an update download/install. OTOH maybe Windows didn't check for updates when I rebooted because it knew it just had! (I'm set for automataic updates.)

But I get still get this lack of response of the "Remember my answer and do not ask again" when I check that checkbox occasionally. Any ideas on how to make that checkbox work other than reinstalling Sygate?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    After a program updates it has "changed". So yes the firewall will ask again. And I know the WGA updated a day or so ago.

But any other apps that regularly update will cause it to ask again also.

Well, that makes sense. Thanks.