Thread: What KB905474 actually does?

What KB905474 actually does?

Hey. Can someone tell me what KB905474 actually does if you install it? I still believe my Windows version is genuine. I already have installed the nagware genuine advantage update but automatic updates is telling me to now install Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474)? Is this different from the previous update which allows windows to nag me to get a valid copy of windows? In a nutshell, what does installing Windows Genuine Advantage Notification (KB905474) do to my PC? Many many thanks.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    If this is the WGA authentication stuff, I believe it does 3 things that are noticable to the user if they own a pirated version of windows:

First off, when you boot, your windows login page will display a message that says:
    'You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows is not genuine and is not eligible to receive all updates and product support from Microsoft.

Click Get Genuine now to get more information and resolve this issue.'

Then, secondly, you will have a notification icon in your system tray that will display a validation error every so often.

And then lastly, if you selected to 'resolve later', when you lock your desktop, you will get the following banner text when your computer is locked:
    This copy of Windows is not genuine.
    You may be the victim of software counterfeiting

There may be more stuff under the hood, but I haven't read any besides that PC's that fail the WGA, will only be able to get critical updates from MS and nothing else.

Also, you cannot uninstall and disable the WGA by using the Add/Remove Programs. It will allow you to view Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications, but you cannot use Add or Remove Programs to remove the notifications.

You can also temporarily disable Windows Genuine Advantage Notifications. To do this, right-click the Notifier icon in the notification area and select Change Notifications Settings. Then, follow the prompts. This will disable the Notification Prompts until a new release of the Notification Update is released.

Thanks for your help.

Windows now want me to install the saem update again but I already have it. I've turned off automatic updates now as I don't know what'll happen if I install it again. Can someone advise me? Cheers again!!

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    They keep updating the WGA tool and keep pushing it out. I just installed another push of it yesterday.

And what did it do to your PC?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    nothing