Thread: i can not deleted avi files help.?

Unhappy i can not deleted avi files help.?

i have to reboot to deleted avi files mpg np and other files tooo np,just avi wants i reboot gone i can delete them np.it said that it's running by another program but i don't see nothing can you help please and thank you?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    hit ctrl alt del and get rid of any programs that are using the files...
    Run an antivirus to get rid of any viruses,

One other thing, right click the recycle bin, click on properties, do one of two things
    A) make sure you have enough space for sending your files
    B) check the box that says do not move the files to the recycle bin, remove them immediately

question is it just AVI files? Is it one AVI file in particular?
    What software do you have installed?
    BB

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Are you using Windows Media Player to play the avi's.
    Windows Media Player keeps a list of recently opened files.this can prevent files from being deleted because they are still associated with the media player.
    Open regedit and navigate to the following string;

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MediaPlayer\
    Player\RecentFileList

Delete all the entries from the recent file list,and you should now be able to delete the files.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I was wondering: is there any way to make WMP 7 to stop building the lybrary?
    I know I can delete them, but I got to delete them from the deleted items also. It really annoys me WMP listing all played content. Many times I play something just once, I won't play it again. I guess most of us do, so I don't want WMP keeping track of everything, but just what I specify.

I think I am rather lucky, it never does that on me. It used to back when I had version 7.0 but now with the new XP version, it never keeps a record of my previously viewed files...
    You might try the bonus pack as well as checking in the options category to see if there is a way to disable this...
    BB

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Dehc,If you download one of these Media player bonus packs they have a utility called "Recently used list cleaner"
    This removes the entries from your playlist.

Pack for WMP 7.1

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...onuspack71.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Pack for WMP 8 (XP)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...onuspack71.asp

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

MRU CLEANER procedure

How To Clear The Mru In Media Player
    UPDATE

Ok first get the BONUS PACK for the media player here:
    DOWNLOAD 18MB full install!
    http://download.microsoft.com/downlo.../wmbonusxp.exe
    Sit tight cause that's a large file.
    Ok,
    once you have it downloaded, install it, and make sure to do a complete install!
    Now, go to start/allprograms/Windows Media bonus pack for XP/Windows media Player Tray COntrol and open it up.
    Now in your system tray you will see what looks like a windows MEDIA player icon, right click it, the click options, select turn off Media Player MRU, and you might also want to Clear your Current MRU too!
    That's it!

Just something I thought of while bumming around!
    BB

big file my ass

get cable/dsl. with my cable connection i can download 18 meg files in less than 30 secs. note that mine is tweaked a lot, but even with a basic 1.5Mb/s cable/dsl line it shouldnt take more than a minute if its truly 1.5Mb/s

your right,
    On my connection it takes about 1.5-2 minutes depending on what else I am doing. I was referring to those without broadband who are on a 56K or ISDN line, as it being big files.
    Typically I download around 10-20 GB a month, and I also game, etc...
    I know what a phat pipe is, was on me university T3 for about 2 years, then went to Charter Cable access, and now I am on DSL in Japan...
    BUt yeah if you got a nice connection, this is just a tiny download.
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 7th, 2002 at 09:33 AM.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Just updating this post from a long time. The problem of WMP recording in the lybrary is only for the latest version for non-XP users. I was using Win98 SE and I downloaded all updates for WMP and it always kept a record in the media library, but since I am using WinXP it doesn't do it.
    So conclusion: WMP with XP won't keep a record unless manually, but for other versions it keeps a record and you need to delete it manualy

Yah I think Microsoft finally realized that was causing lots of problems with peeps who didnt want to leave a trace of what they had been watching or listening to.
    THey defaulted the MRU or the "history" to the off setting, but you can still turn it back on in the tools, options, etc...
    I think.
    BB