Thread: Using Thunderbird thinking of switching bac..

Using Thunderbird thinking of switching bac..

back to Outlook Express. Has anyone done this. If so were you pleased in going back. Can you export your address book from Thunderbird to OE. What things should I consider........................Thanks, Kevin

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    From the Thunderbird FAQ site:

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thund...faq.html#q2.10

How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?

Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.

Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    The question is what has prompted you to switch back? Is it something you are not getting from Thunderbird that you would otherwise be getting from Outlook or Outlook Express?

I tell you what I don't like about Outlook/OE, it's the fact that OE gets tied in with Internet Explorer and Messenger too much. I don't want my mailing software to come with strings... that said, I use OE most often.

Further OE hasn't been updated in quite some time... which sucks. Microsoft tend to piss all over tools that they offer for free... and they don't add much to those tools very often.

Thunderbird gets updates more regularly AFAIK.

The question is what has prompted you to switch back? Is it something you are not getting from Thunderbird that you would otherwise be getting from Outlook or Outlook Express?

What has got me thinking about going back is how Thunderbird forwards emails. I forward a good number of emails and the default is to send the original email as an attachment and I have learned that in some cases it does not even do that. I know in messages I can Forward As > inline to get it to do what I want. What I cannot figure out is how to get it to default to Forward As > Inline....................do you know.

Kevin

kevin........, I am worried about you. I hope you don't go back to a more insecure email client. You are much better off with Thunderbird and so are the people you send messages to.

I get the feeling that you are one of those people that regularly receives emails that may have been forwarded several times before they get to you and then you forward them to a group of your friends. If I have guessed correctly, you are involved in a practice that will eventually result in your computer being infected with destructive malware as well as your friends that you have forwarded to.

I will not open a forwarded message. There are no exceptions to that rule. When you want to share a message with someone, it is far safer to copy and paste the text into an new message.

One thing that might be causing you problems is that OE and TB use different terms for the same operation. I don't know of any operation that you can accomplish in OE that cannot also be accomplished in TB.

If I am not understanding your problem, clarify what you want to do. Someone should have an answer.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    # From the Tools menu select Options
    # Click Composition and select the General tab
    # Change the Forward messages option to Inline

That should do it. But I don't use thunderbird on my work PC so I cannot tell for sure.

thanks

It was right in front of me but did not see. That takes care of me for now.