Thread: Low vitural Memory

Low vitural Memory

Hello to all,

At the moment i am having some trouble with an error message that reads low vitural memory when the machines boots up. I have just upgraded this pc to XP Pro from 2000 and whacked a 1gb of ram in.

With this problem before i simply changed the page file size or let the system set the size but now neither seems to work, as i get the error message each time the pc boots up regardless of settings.

There are 2 hds in the machine and C: only has 5026 that i can use but the new drive has 17564mb that i can use but if i set under or on the mark for the C: drive then i get a message telling me that i can not set it to this amount or it will not debug.

Any ideas?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    have you tried using the other drive as a swap file. thats what I currently do. I have 2 gigs of ram then have 1.5gig swap on my f: drive.

how do i do that? Do i set no paging file for C: drive and then use F: drive? there is bags of space

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    yes or whatever your backup drive is named and give it tons like 1.5-3 gigs

Cheers for your quick response phishhead,

It seems no matter what i try the page file does not seem to take the new settings. I have tried to no page file on C: but it recreates on the boot up process even though i have a large file on the F: drive.Tried system set on both but still to no avail.

It is strange as when i go back into the vitural memory settings the total paging file for all drives allocation at the bottom of the window always gives a min and recommended setting but the currently allocated always reads 0 MB even though i can see the allocation i set above is not 0.

its really getting on my nerves. How can i find it in the system to delete it as it may be corrupt but i cant find it.

please help