Thread: Document search in Intranet?

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Document search in Intranet?

Ok, I got a semi-tedious taks to look at a search engine for documents inside an intranet site that we have. So, lets say, we have an Intranet where reports about meetings can be stored (Word .doc files), and we want to be able to search the word files withing the intranet. I think the google appliance does this, but it is a bit overboard to buy a new appliance for some users, thought the users that will use this feature are very important in the company.
    Well, we have the advantage that our web server runs on Linux, with apache and php, so there should be something open source that we can integrate it

Hello!! Web Designer world?? TZ Vets??? Anyone ???

If you still need something to scan the intranet for documents, you can use share scan I don't know if it is free ware but it is the most useful scanning program that you will ever find.

Thanks Nicon, but if I am right, that is a scanning tool for local or remote files, right? I need to search documents saved in a web server (I believe it is either Fedora or Debian), with Linux OS, and the search has to be available in the Intranet page, so in easy words, I need to search hosted documents (or something like that:P)

Well, I did take a look in Tucows, and there are a couple of programs that might work, but I will have to test them. If anyone had used this type of search, please give some input.
    Tks Nicon

ok, since still no response, I am going to test (as soon as I have time, so maybe somewhere next week) this 2 programs
    * CN Search pro
    Name Deep Search 3
    I will let you know what happens

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    mnoGoSearch

Price: Free
    File Size: 3.25 M Requirements: No special requirements
    Release Date: Monday, June 05, 2006
    Language: English
    License: Freeware

Description:
    MnoGoSearch is a search engine designed to organize search
    within a website, number of websites, intranet or local system. To search
    through documents you have to index them first using the indexer component
    of mnoGoSearch. Indexer is a spider that reads the documents you specify and
    stores information about words it finds in tables in a SQL or built-in database. You can
    specify what kind (format) of documents to index, location of documents (a
    website, a directory on server, single webpage, etc.). You can define the
    level of importance (weight) of various document properties and parts that
    are taken into account during searching.

mnoGoSearch for UNIX is a free software covered by the GNU General Public License. It consists of a command line indexer and a search program which can be run under Apache Web Server, or any other HTTP server supporting CGI interface. mnoGoSearch for Unix is distributed in sources and can be compiled with a number of databases, depending on user's choice. It is known to work on a wide variety of the modern Unix operating systems including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OSX, Solaris and others.

mnoGoSearch reference manual

mnoGoSearch 3.2.39 search engine UNIX software

mnoGoSearch homepage

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

TKS I will try it on Monday or this weekend at home, if my sister stops bringing to me dead laptops

Reverend. We had a couple of problems with the make, but I finally got it to install in a different server. But in the last step for the instalation it says to create the indexer, by running from the sbin folder "# ./indexer -Ecreate"
    I don't have any files in the sbin. Is it possible I still had some problems with the instalation?
    Also, the instalation file did not say anything about users, but I am assuming it needs to be compiled as root (since as a regular user it did not work) and that apache would need access to the cgis. Anything else??

Ok, found out part of my errors. When answering for the database support (postgresql) I typed y intead of yes. Once I used Yes it even asked me for the path instalation of pgsql ()
    Fedora installs it by default in the /var/lib/pgsql, and I created a simlink to in from /usr/local so I don't even have to change the path but still did not worked. At least it gave me this error at the end
    Code:
    In file included from ../include/udm_common.h:743,
                     from indexer.c:45:
    ../include/udm_db_int.h:24:22: error: libpq-fe.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from ../include/udm_common.h:743,
                     from indexer.c:45:
    ../include/udm_db_int.h:69: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before 'PGresult'
    make[2]: *** [indexer.lo] Error 1
    What could be wrong??

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Hey Dave, I've not run this personally but have a family member that swears by it... http://www.x1.com/

It's also got a free download right now!