Thread: Migration made easy ?????

Migration made easy ?????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

We are moving half of our company in to new offices and i really want them to keep there old profiles which is registered to the old domain although i have set up a new domain elsewhere.

Can they move over without server 2003 making a new profile??????

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Sorry dude, pretty sure if you make a new domain then ur old profiles are toasted... i remember there being a client connect wizard for 2k3, but i think related to local profiles on the workstations....

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Does this mean i would have to manually move all there documents over to there new profiles, cause that would be a right pain in the ****

Are we talking local profiles (Stored on the desktop) or Roaming profiles (stored on a server share)?

profiles are stored on the local machine and joined the domain on blahblah.local and we are moving over the road and i am gonna need to join the machines to etcetc.local. can i keep the profiles from blahblah.local and just migrate them over to etcetc.local or is it a case of moving docs to the new profile that server the sets up?????

I know i can just move the important docs across the profiles but i really wish that there was a quicker way
    Last edited by Sambo; July 27th, 2006 at 15:59 PM.

It sounds like you have local profiles, which can be a pain in the butt to transfer as you would have to copy the indivudal profile from each pc and then sort out the security permissions, and copy it to the new pc in the new domain which the user will be using. I don’t know if this will be more work for you in the long run, but what you can do is setup roaming profiles. This is done in the Active Directory Users and Computers. You will need to setup a share on a server and then on the properties of your users in AD go to the profile tab, and in the profile box type the UNC path to your share eg. \\server\share\%username% (the %username% will change to the actual username when you click apply). Once this is done if you get the user to log on to there normal PC and when they log off the profile will be uploaded to the share that you set in the AD properties. Once this has completed for all your users you can copy the profile share to the new domain, reset the permissions as required and change AD in the new domain to point to the new profile share on the new domain. When the users log onto the new domain they will download their profiles from the server. This way a user will be able to log on to any PC in you new domain and get the same profile from the server. Hope some of this helps.
    Last edited by Raging_Dragon; July 28th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.

The SID of the user is linked to the domain, so the simple answer is no. As the profile will be in a distinct domain which is unlinked to the old one you can't move the profiles. You could do it if they were part of the same AD schema.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

Cheers,

For the help fellas. Looks like the long away around things