Thread: where to find the xp serial on a secondary hard drive with xp installed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

where to find the xp serial on a secondary hard drive with xp installed

my old computer was put under the bed for the last few years...we upgraded...i took it out the other day...and can't for the life of me remember my password to log on..i took the hard drive out and installed it on my main pc to access the files i need...but now i would like to get it going again without reinstalling, as i do not know where my cd is to reinstall...is there a way that i can access my serial key from a file or text on the hard drive?.,..it's a legit version...so i would hate to lose it...been activated and so on...can i find my key while the hard drive is in my new pc?....thanks guys...cheers

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    What password is it? A Windows PW or what? Can be several methods to accomplish what you are asking...

Smile recovering xp serial

hi guys...as i posted before..i am in need of a way to retrieve my serial from an xp install that i forgot the password to...i tried reinstalling windows and hit shift-f10 while it was setting up devices in the xp setup....but to no avail...i have put the hard drive in my new pc to grab some data before i loose it...but would like to find the serial number from that drive before i format...can i find the serial while it is attached to my new pc?...i tried belarc...and keyfinder, but they only list the serial from the enviroment that's active...i need to find the serial from the non active enviroment so i can reinstall...now i am stuck with a puter that boots into setup...with no serial to enter...any help would be awesome...thanks guys...(and gals)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Threads merged.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

re:XP serial

hi all...i figured it out.. insert the xp cd in and start a new setup...while it's installing devices, hit shilft-f10 a window comes up....there, u can run the keyfinder u copied to ur c:\ drive earlier and voila..... key pops up

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    threads merged again.

There's no need to keep starting a new thread unless of course it is a totally non related subject.

Just continue replying in the original thread otherwise some viewers won't know what you are referring to.

Thanks.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========