Thread: Could I play a video on a data CD as a screensaver & use less CPU?

Could I play a video on a data CD as a screensaver & use less CPU?

Could I play a video on a data CD as a screensaver & use less CPU than if I

used a screensaver on my hard drive?

Thanks

Playing video from whatever source will use the same amount of CPU time, but the video may run slow from the cd depending on the speed of your drive.

Thanks for replying.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    What are screen savers for ?

It's like having an aquarium in your room when you are not using your PC.

That's if you have an aquarium screensaver. You don't have the trouble of

cleaning a fish tank. The screen saver prevents images from burning into the

screen on your monitor.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    It's like having an aquarium in your room when you are not using your PC.
    I see, in that case seems worth it.

I general screen savers are for when PC is idle, not in use, no one around to see the dam thing best not to even run one IMO.

I have the aquarium, I turn it on every so often and make sure fish are still alive

Platinum+ Member
    The screen saver prevents images from burning into the screen on your monitor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Modern CRTs are much less susceptible to burn-in than older models due to improvements in phosphor coatings, and because modern computer images are generally lower contrast than the stark green- or white-on-black text and graphics of earlier machines. LCD computer monitors, including the display panels used in laptop computers, are not susceptible to burn-in because the image is not directly produced by phosphors (although they can suffer from a less extreme and usually non-permanent form of image persistence). For these reasons, screensavers today are primarily decorative or for entertainment, and usually feature moving images or patterns and sometimes sound effects.
    You could just change the power management features so the monitor goes into standby earlier.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    As tarun said change the monitor power settings to a shorter "turn off" time. (standby)

To be honest i never see the purpose of having a screensaver. A screensaver is primarily for when your pc is idle, and when your pc is idle you're unlikely to be sitting anywhere near it so therefore it doesn't really matter what graphic is on the screen.

I have my screensaver set to "none" and just use the power management to turn off (standby) the monitor at a specified timeout.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

When Power Management turns off my monitor, my PC acts like it's tired. It doesn't want to do anything & it's slow.

I'm in my room when I'm not using my PC. I like to see the fishies swimming around.

Thanks for the replies.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I like screensavers for eye candy only,but never use them for the intended pupose.And they muck up some application that are running.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.