Thread: Upgrading motherboard & Win XP

Question Upgrading motherboard & Win XP

I am upgrading my celeron system with a p4 motherboard. The existing system was an Emachines and the original operating system was Windows ME. I had already upgraded the operating system to Windows XP and loved it. My concern is that the original operating system is on RESTORE Cd's and I was not supplied with an original Windows ME cd. I am planning on installing a new hard drive as well. What would be the best procedure to follow so that the Windows XP Upgrade will recognize that I have a valid registered copy of Windows ME to qualify me for the upgrade? Thanks for any suggestions or help!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    unfortunately the restore disk is an image so I don't believe you will be able to use...your best bet would be to get a buddies win98, ME, Win2k cd and when it asks you where is a qualifying os is point to your cdrom where the cd is in.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    If you want to do it the perfectly legal way backup all your files and important stuff to a CD/removable drive, restore your Windows Me with your restore disks, then reinstall Windows XP. It is of course your choice which route to follow.