Thread: Just to make sure - Clean XP install question

Just to make sure - Clean XP install question

I just want to check that if I get a full version of WinXP (not an upgrade), the CD will be bootable and during the installation I will get the option to delete my partition and completely wipe the hard disk before installation?

When I put Win2000 on a 98 installation as a 'clean install' it doesn't actually delete the Win98 folder - I want to have an empty c:\ on which to install XP.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    If you have a Win2000, ME or 98 CD then you don't need the full version of XP ( XP upgrade actually is the full version). The XP upgrade will do a full clean install.

Go Here and download "Wipeout" unzipp and put on floppy (read the readme). Boot the floppy, at the command prompt type (without the quotes) " wipeout c: n/q n/p" Your HD will now be squeaky clean.

Pull the floppy and boot the XP upgrade CD, format the HD and when XP starts installing at some point it'll ask for the other window CD to verify the upgrade, this will not install files from the other OS. XP will tell you to pull the other CD after verification, XP installation will continue nice & clean.
    Last edited by FastGame; September 8th, 2006 at 11:58 AM.

Do I need Wipeout, or does the XP CD come with something like FDISK? I'm always wary of random bootdisks - how does it work? Perhaps it just has stuff like format.exe on the disk?

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    Do I need Wipeout, or does the XP CD come with something like FDISK? I'm always wary of random bootdisks - how does it work? Perhaps it just has stuff like format.exe on the disk?
    Set your bios to boot from the cd first and put your disk in,exit and save from the bios and wheather it's an oem or full version of windows it will boot and you will be prompted to set up windows on an existing partition,delete that partition,create a new partition.The cd has the tools to do what you want,so go for it,it's painless and you will have an empty C:\ drive.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.