Thread: Problem! Error with existing communications file - [FIXED]

Problem! Error with existing communications file - [FIXED]

Hi, I'm having a problem with my computer and help would be greatly appreciated. The problem is that when I log in, it sits for at least 2 minutes with the desktop background displayed before loading everything up. It then displays an error saying:

"An existing critical communications file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\WS2_32.dll) is either old or invalid. Microsoft ActiveSync cannot establish a connection with the mobile device until this file has been replaced.

To correct this problem, reinstall Windows, or replace the file with a newer version."

The only change I've made today noteworthy are updates from Microsoft. I've tried a system restore to previous days but it says it cannot restore as no files have been changed (or something to that affect). As stated, any helpful info would be greatly appreciated.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    It's a Winsock file that's needed for communication. You can try uninstalling\reinstalling ActiveSync, but if that doesn't work I would suggest SFC /SCANNOW.

Thanks so much! The problem is fixed now. The WinsockXPFix worked just fine.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    glad it worked...now that its fixed you gotta stay around and help out the others.