Thread: Desperately need help with SUWIN prob

Desperately need help with SUWIN prob

I tried to upgrade to Win XP, but couldn't as there I've not found any drivers for my modem that work.
    I decided to go back to Win ME, but keep getting faults when I try installing ME or 98
    "SUWIN caused general protection error in module <unknown> 040F:0CCA|SUWIN SUWIN will now close" followed by a close button. Clicking the closse button 9 times does nothing, the the 10th click causes the word "close" on the button to disappear (but the button remains). The 11th click sends me back to a DOS prompt.

There is nothing on the MS website for this prob - I've tried the solutions for similar probs (SUWIN & pidgen.dll, and correcting the date etc etc) to no avail.

My system did run fine before I tried to install XP, but now it seems to be f***ed.

I can run my system using the original restore disk which runs 98SE from a ghost file and removes all my partitions. After that I can no longer install another OS.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    hello unclenelli:

does this error happen on a freshly formatted harddrive?

some common problems arise if you try to update windows by simply installing into the same windows directory

if your using the same directory then you must change the directory name or boot into dos and deltree your windows folder

read the info here and post more info on your system specs and setup
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000293.htm

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

SUWIN Probs

Yes the drive was formatted.
    I've formatted many times before, usually by fdisk and format, then loading 98 or 98SE (Restore CD) then Partition Magic 5, reformatting C:, then installing ME to a clean drive.
    After the format, I'm getting the SUWIN errors when I try 98 or ME

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try reformatting so you have a clean disk..if you are going to install ME make sure to use a winME boot up disk I recently found out that it is different then a win98 bootup disk if you want to use xp take the modem out and install xp then use a generic hayes modem driver.oh yeah after the reformat type fdisk /mbr just incase if your fat got corrupt...after the install then load your your modem again...if it is an old pc you might want to ditch all your pci cards except your video card then install the os and put the cards back in after the install...good luck let us know what happens.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    click here for suwin info

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Modem

I'm using a HAMR 5600 Voice modem as supplied by Tiny in July 2000

I found a driver on the net in file:
    SLA56-V3.00.02-MV-WIN2K-XP.zip
    but when unzipped, it doesn't work.

My system is a Tiny P3-733 with 2x 256mb RAM, 30GB HDD (master), 60GB HDD (slave, disconnected and removed from BIOS), 1394 Firewire card (also removed).

The RAM was bought recently from PC World and worked fine before the XP upgrade. When I unplug 1 strip at a time, the POST screen reacts accordingly.

The only kosher copy of Windows I have is the Tiny restore disk (98SE as a ghost of the 30GB HDD - won't install to the 60GB HDD) - It's also the only copy of Windows which I can currently run!!!!!!
    I have a copy of 98 (1 generation copy), a copy of ME (2nd generation copy which I had used with no probs for over a year) and this new copy of XP, which won't run with my modem.

I've considered buying a new modem as a fix to run XP, but I will probably end up with probs running my other hardware :
    Belkin Universal Port (3x USB, 1xParallel, 1x Serial) *
    Belkin 7x USB port *
    Palm M100 PDA
    Nokia DataSuite 3
    Nokia 6150e mobile phone (thru Nokia DS3)
    UMAX Astrapix webcam *
    Sony TRV25 Digi Camcorder *
    Pinnacle IEEE1394 Firewire Card (for camcorder) *
    Panasonic KX-P1150 dot matrix
    Unknown Tiny 600dpi USB scanner
    Lexmark Z51 *
    Jenoptik Smartcard reader #
    eXputer Systems Flash USB Drive $
    Fuji Finepix 1400zoom digicam
    Seagate 60GB HDD *
    Logitech Cordless Keyboard *
    Logitech Cordless Optical Mouse *

(Key: * - newish so drivers should work/know of drivers on the net, $ - website says 98/ME drivers should work, # - website says 98/ME driver can be used as a beta version of XP with no support from them, everything else is too old, or can't find any drivers)

I'm thinking of a PC World healthcheck to try and fix it - any new hardware bought is still under it's year's warranty. If it's anything else, I've still got a year of Tiny warranty (for what it's still worth - Any other Tiny customers will probably know what I'm on about, if not speak to your local Trading Standards) for the original bits left inside (motherboard, CDRW/DVD, Processor, 30GB HDD)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    To get that driver installed you might try this once you have XP installed:
    Comments:
    Click start, right click my computer, select properties, click on hardware, then click on the hardware wizard.
    Point the Wizard to the location of the unzipped new driver
    When MS signature screen appears select 'Continue Anyway'

That is you have to get XP installed first.

Have you tried using the TINY restore cd, split the drive into C: and D: (30 gigs respectively) use a windows 98 boot disk, run Fdisk and split the drive. Now install the TINY restore onto C: drive. then do a dual boot with windows XP and your 98.
    GUIDE TO DUAL BOOTING WINDOWS OPERATING SYSTEMS

Below is another good dual booting guide:

http://pages.zdnet.com/hampsi/Articles/dualboot.htm

Then you'd have the best of both worlds, and if some of your hardware doesnt work in XP, you have 98 as a backup.
    hope that helps,
    and welcome to Techzonez.

Forgot to address the SUwin error. Below is a MS reference to the error you are getting when upgrading to windows ME, which by the way is a terrible OS...IMHO, but it will do if that is all you have.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q266090

And at the link below as well:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q224836
    Hope that helps,
    BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 7th, 2002 at 01:54 AM.