Thread: Windows Vista Minidump Error Log Location

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Question Windows Vista Minidump Error Log Location

Does anyone know where that G@&%$DA%$&MN Minidump files are located? This systems in a STOP 0X8E reboot loop and can't be stopped. I'm in Recovery Console now lookin fer the .dmp files but ain't findin shiite!

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    it's not in X:/windows/minidump?

noop. I got from another good soul that it should be in %systemroot%\somedamnthing... anyhoo, not a directory ya can change into from Recovery Console. I know that installing Avast AV and rebooting has gotten me into this peach, but I would like to debug the .dmp files to see what they say.
    Last edited by rik; September 22nd, 2006 at 01:48 AM.

Why not just boot into the last known good config? Or safemode, remove avast and then go at it Tiger? Or does the error popup before you can access the safe mode prompt?

Can't boot into ANY mode...keeps rebooting. I just grabbed a piccie witma digital...I'll see about posting it soon.

U may have to reinstall or repair install that badboy. Or use a bootCD to fix the damage.

Avast doesn't seem to want to comply with your installation. Try AVG instead.

I understand. But I'd really like to debug the issue to see what's going on if possible. Here's teh error...

sorry fer such a crappy picture. Best I could do under the circumstances...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...933845.xml.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/search/...=sup&x=11&y=10

Related sites covering that error, thought not Vista or Avast specific.

If you want to debug, try this:

Booting Vista into Debug Mode

For anyone that has had to boot Windows into debug mode to do some digging around (like remote Kernel Debugging), things have changed. In the past, you could open up boot.ini in the root of the system volume, and add a "/debug" flag to the Windows OS record of choice.

One of the things you might notice with Vista is that boot.ini is now gone, solid gone. So, with boot.ini gone, how do you boot into debug mode? It is done with a new tool called "bcdedit". In the root of the system volume, you'll notice a hidden system directory "Boot" which is the Boot Configuration Data store. So, to turn on Kernel Debugging with Vista, you can now execute "bcdedit /debug on" (be aware, you need to be running the command prompt under an account with Admin privileges).

If you want to see the load of stuff you can do with bcdedit now, just execute "bcdedit /?".