Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ok Vista beta testers-question ?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bionicblond View Post
    wow that is a jump... I think it is to force cheap people like myself to purchase better systems in order to use the internet. I mean if I am getting this all correctly, they won't be offering support in 2008 so a person like myself using a system that is unable to make the jump will effectively be shut out.
    and you're not alone. There are millions of people out there that will want to upgrade the OS but not the hardware, but will be forced to upgrade the hardware to have the opportunity to upgrade the OS. That's going to create a lot of waste too. Especially on the corporate level.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    boog is right at my work we're already auditing our dept to see what hardware that will be retired. when we made the jump to xp my company must've dontated about 1200 pc's and latops to local charities around town. We've also created a vmware virtual network to see how vista will work in our environment. This release is going to fill alot of peoples pockets robbing from the poor. Me included.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    boog is right at my work we're already auditing our dept to see what hardware that will be retired. when we made the jump to xp my company must've dontated about 1200 pc's and latops to local charities around town. We've also created a vmware virtual network to see how vista will work in our environment. This release is going to fill alot of peoples pockets robbing from the poor. Me included.
    How do you prep the hard drives when you donate them to charity?

Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    Please people get over this forcing you to use Vista rubbish, nobody is forcing anybody to use Vista. If you have older hardware you can use a myriad of OSes which will operate just fine on it.
    not necessarily, you know once they establish Vista as the standard, websites will begin to cater to the minimum that they have established. It easy for those of you who have systems capable of this to not notice it, but for those of us that don't we will be forced to purchase a system that meets this "new" minimum an incidentally uses Vista.

Quote Originally Posted by piaqt View Post
    But then they'd have to find another dead horse to beat.
    So, no it isn't a dead horse, its fact. And when it happens, if I am still able to access Techzonez, I will make a point to find this thread and point out the problems this "new" minimum has caused for me.
    Last edited by bionicblond; October 22nd, 2006 at 05:46 AM.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie

Firefox works on Windows 98,Me,2000,XP,Linux,Macintosh etc...
    How many Windows NT or 98 boxes could run XP properly? 98 came out in 1998 and xp in 2001 - only 3 years difference. Now we are talking about 5+ years difference and a lot of hardware changes, 64 bit processors, SATA, SAS, Flat panels the list is endless.

There is nothing unfair or unusual going on here. You might 'want' to 'upgrade' to Vista but you do not have to. Lots of people still happily use Windows 98, 2000, MacOS8.5,9 Suse9 etc...

Feed the Beast or not the choice actually IS yours.
    I'm using Windows 7 - you got a problem with that?

boogs we you some DOD cleaner on bartPE cd.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Curio View Post
    Feed the Beast or not the choice actually IS yours.

He is correct. I'll be using XP for years here at home before making the jump to Veeeeesta.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead View Post
    boogs we you some DOD cleaner on bartPE cd.
    Machine by machine or on a network? If you did it machine by machine that must have taken a long ass time.

Titanium Member TZ Veteran Denyse's Avatar
    I put the new beta on a laptop that would never work correctly with a wifi card. It now works perfectly. Thus I am happy enough.

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger View Post
    Machine by machine or on a network? If you did it machine by machine that must have taken a long ass time.
    And you would know from long asses.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger View Post
    we have this box that you hook up the master image and can blast like 10-15 hard drives at once. So we use that to boot from the bartpe cd and wipe them 10 drives at a time. it is very time consuming I know the guy thats doing it was been doing it for a few weeks now inbetween his other duties.

I saw some help desks peeps at my uni upgrading from windows 95 to windows 98se. They had put CDs in every computer and were running from each one to reinstall the OSes.... I thought man that's gotta suck. They had to do 5 computer labs like that...

Even at 10 hard disks at a time, with 100s or 1000s of computers, that would take forever.. because each time probably takes 12-24 hours to format using the DoD methods.

I have Vista 5744 now running on this machine - Xeon 2.8, QuadroFx Graphics, 2Gb Ram, 160Gb SATA2 - BASE Score 4.5. It is nice and Aero is cool, Aero didn't work on my laptop. It's the machine that used to have 8 screens on it (twin Xentera GT4 PCI-E's) but I ditched them at last.

In IE you used to be able to click edit>find in page and search the page for a word or phrase - this was a great feature and saved a lot of time when trawling the net for stuff. It doesn't appear to exist in IE7 - you can't search the page for what you are looking for - you gatta read it, eeeeew! IE7 is therefore useless to man or beast - well maybe not useless, but stoooooopid.

oops! They built it into the LiveSearch bar so it is there after all and it is in fact me that is Stooooopido!
    Last edited by Curio; October 29th, 2006 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Stoopidness

She who must be obeyed Super Moderator piaqt's Avatar
    Or Ctrl-F.

Last night, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas, I'll never know.
    love, piaqt