Before I start with number 1 and work my way up, I would like to address a few things. First, this is my personal opinion of the game produced by DICE and published by Electronic Arts. As the title states, the purpose of this article is to highlight my largest gripes with the game and can be considered a rant. Secondly, the only experience I've had with the game thus far has been from the demo. I feel, however, that all of my points have nothing to do with the difference between the demo and full version and are therefore still relevant. Finally, I bring these points up because while I believe Battlefield 2142 might be the most successful in the Battlefield series, it will never be the most played first person shooter due to a number of small technicalities that DICE couldn't get right. I do offer solutions, even if obviously simple.

#1 – Your soldier looks like he's been spending time with Barry Bonds and the Balco boys, but he performs like your stoner uncle Jeff recovering from a Grateful Dead concert.

Now, this one I provide a screenshot, because explaining it in words won't do justice.

This is the total distance you can run, as an assault class, with heavy armor on, before you run out of stamina. Removing the heavy armor didn't provide much of a bonus, and isn't worth it. Now this is just sad. I mean look at that screenshot. That's pathetic, and it's ****ing annoying when your trying to get anywhere. Everyone that has ever played knows you can't avoid being an infantry from time to time, sometimes there just aren't vehicles. But lets think about this...the year is 2142, and that is as far as our soldier can run. The soldier runs and moves almost the same as in battlefield 2, which brings me to my next point.

Solution: increase stamina 3x or remove it completely. Also increase the soldiers default speed by 15%-20%. He is too slow anyways.

#2 – Is this battlefield 2, or battlefield 2142?

Battlefield 2 and 2142 have more in common than they are different. Yeah, it's a vague and practically rhetorical statement, but it's true. Battlefield 2142 feels more like a mod than a whole new game. Basically, its battlefield 2 with new maps, weapons, vehicles and models. I suppose you could say that those alone would make it a whole new game, but everything has the exact same feel as Battlefield 2, and 1942 for that matter. We are 130ish years in the future, but everything behaves identical to the prior Battlefield.

Solution: Think. It's 2142, not 2050, we would be well beyond all the limitations of today's hand held weapons, vehicles, and soldiers.

#3 – Those awesome high-tech weapons, or not?

Where are my plasma weapons, phasers, lasers, and energy guns? Oh right, it's only 2142, those weapons wouldn't be invented or ready yet. My ass. There's nothing better than using good old bullets. Bullets that cause massive amounts of recoil and inaccuracy and I might add, a limited supply of ammunition to boot. Also weapons that get too hot just like those world war 2 weapons, you know 50 years back, or from 2142 it would be 200 years ago. Good to see you can only fire a limited number of rounds before your weapon gets too hot and you have to let it cool down, it's an awesome feature that the soldier of the 22nd century has come to rely on to save his life. You would think the weapons of 2142 would have superior anti-recoil technology, light weight, deadly and accurate…right?...nah…

Solution: More high tech weapons with an agenda to devastate. Less recoil, less overheating, more energy weapons.

#4 – The Mighty Titans

Yeah the new titan game mode is cool, and the titans are ok looking, but I had hoped for more aggressive flying battleships of doom in the sky. Instead I get giant star trek medical support ships. Then again, they are just support ships. It's a good thing that the exterior of the ships look completely different, or I'd get confused which one is the enemy and which one is friendly. But thank God they have the exact same interior design, because then I would get so confused, wait huh? The titans have the same exact interior layout? Wow that's convenient. Also the engineer must have been a genious, putting the main reactor on level 2 where all you have to do is destroy 4 consoles and the reactor is exposed. Funny, how there are still parts of the ship you can't go because the force fields still up. Yeah, its better we expose our reactor so the enemy can blow up our ship than to keep other random "important" areas of the ship off limits. A dead titan is better than having a titan where force fields don't protect the restrooms. Reactor of ship: Not important, Hanger Bay: Important, shield at all costs.

Solution: Don't be dumb. Reactor should be the most difficult shield to get down, and the last part of the ship that can be accessed sequentially. Besides, I want to find those a-holes that are staring at some consoles controlling the damn turrets on the titans that keep bombarding me, I want payback, nothing like sneaking behind them and filling them full of lead, or tungsten, or whatever the hell material 2142 weapons are using.

#5 – Outpost Defenses

Honestly, I already feel depressed, but I will continue to the outpost defenses. All the Battlefield games have these things. The funny part is that in 2142, both sides share them. That's right, there is some universal anti-vehicle and anti-air, that both sides just reuse when they recapture an outpost. So we have the EU and the PAC, those are the sides that are fighting each other, and they have the same outpost defense systems. My question is why does the anti-aircraft, just like in battlefield 2, only have 2 missles and there are no missles that auto lock on. I mean, those were invented right?

How come infantry can kill me quicker in the stationary defenses than any of the vehicles?

Solution: each side has its own defense systems, and the anti-aircraft has more than 2 missiles. Infact, add a infantry anti-aircraft weapon for added complexity.
Read the rest below:
http://www.desinc.net/bf2142_review

Interesting. I want to try this for myself to see if it is as bad as this dude says.